Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightly List Generator omitting goodies
Open the Observing Sites box please, select Richmond, and take a screen snap of that. I am interested in the location details...

Then, take a snap of the main list screen, please. After doing the Reset Filters. Be mindful of screen size and resolution. Restore (un-maximise) the window, reduce the size an appropriate amount. I want to see the lists, list content, and the Status bar.
cheers,
Blake

That helped--sky brightness. I had it on Urban, changed to Country. I can now get the Ring Nebula to show up under Showpieces, and Epsilon Lyra under Double Stars. I still can't get Albireo to show up, though, under Interest, Interesting Stars, or Double Stars. Maybe because it's only an optical, not a binary? I can add it manually, so I guess that's close enough. I'm not going to pursue it any further. Thanks for the help--I did make good progress.
Double stars are more affected by airmass than, say, a bright planetary nebula. So it is natural, because it is already poorly placed at sunset, for it not to be selected in November.

If you want to create lists with more control over the outcome, I suggest using the Database Power Search.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
I myself cannot get Albireo to show in any Generator list.
cheers,
Blake

I guess I don't understand why its such a mystery. The whole point of the NOLG is to pick objects that are at their best on the night in question. Albireo is still ok to view, bot it is best left for the summer. There are plenty of other more appropriate targets. So the NOLG is doing exactly what it is expected to do.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Greg, I changed the date to 1 August 2019. New Moon around. I still can't get Albireo to be included. Nearly straight up at midnight.
cheers,
Blake

In my years of using the ST3 Pro NOLG I don't remember having Albirio appear on the list. In fact I just checked for Albirio on any of my observing lists and it's not listed for any of my NOLG outputs, neither is Epsilon Lyrae. I have monthly lists going back to 2015 when I purchased ST3 Pro. Apparently these stars aren't considered 'Showpiece' objects by the NOLG routine. These stars do appear in double star lists & other observing lists from Skyhound.

Hope this helps,

Phil S.
I just checked. Alberio is in the showpiece list. It's been awhile since I wrote this code and I don't have the time to look at it now, but it may have something to do with the telescope and maybe even the eyepieces available. Because it is a fairly wide pair, it may be pushing it more to smaller scopes. But even then, I don't think it would ignore it completely. I would just make it less likely to be picked.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
I wondered that. I ran the Generator on a 14" SCT and then a 101mm refractor. Anyhoo. The NOLG is amazing and I use it all the time. But I still then add to the list produced. That's just my workflow.
cheers,
Blake

At the moment I am more concerned about why the ST4 NOLG thinks we should be observing Mars right now. But when I get down there to fix that, I'll have a look around at double stars too.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound