Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing stellar magnitude in visual sky sim
Hi,
I have a setup for an 8" SCT with a 9x50 finder.
I do notice within the Visual Sky Simulation - when I zoom in/out the number of stars displayed in the chart/simulation changes.
I would like to expand (zoom) the finder so that is is larger on the screen/page.
But when I do that the stars I would use for star hopping disappear by that zoom feature.

I understand there is a Stellar Magnitude dialog control - and wonder if that is where I would change the stars displayed within the finder. 

Am I on the right track there?
If so I can't figure how to find that dialog control
Thanks
Hi,

The magnitude limit for the simulation charts is fixed for each view. For the naked eye view its the naked eye limit, for the finder it's what you cans see in the finder, and for the eyepiece its what you can see in the eyepiece. The only thing that will change it is the time of night (due to twilight, moonlight, altitude in the sky, etc). So the stars you see should not be changing when you zoom in or out. I suspect something else is going on. Post a screen capture. Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-10-04, 11:33 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi,

The magnitude limit for the simulation charts is fixed for each view. For the naked eye view its the naked eye limit, for the finder it's what you cans see in the finder, and for the eyepiece its what you can see in the eyepiece. The only thing that will change it is the time of night (due to twilight, moonlight, altitude in the sky, etc). So the stars you see should not be changing when you zoom in or out. I suspect something else is going on. Post a screen capture. Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I added an attachment screen shot - hope that worked.    
Hi,

Well that's super ugly... I'm not sure what is going on at the bottom, and I don't see any of the controls at the top, but I think I may see the problem. This isn't a good way to display this chart in ST3. My best guess is that your problem is related to the way the stars are being drawn. This is a simulation chart, so it works best if you leave it in the default settings, e.g. simulated sky background plus model psf stars. I have attached a screen capture showing how it is designed to look. The dark stars on a white background are primarily meant for printed charts, or sometimes the on-screen atlas.

Paper charts are limited. They can only reflect light. Some people like dark on a light backgound, others like light on a dark background. I personally prefer a light background, even when working at the scope. It takes less light to show what I'm looking at. But the screen is different. It has the ability to do more than just reflect light. It can glow. The limitations of paper charts don't apply to the screen. The simulated background plus simulated (model psf) stars take advantage of what the screen can offer. After all, the idea of a finder chart, and that's what these charts are meant for, is to reproduce what you will see in the sky as faithfully as possible, which allows for easy identification of stars. And to be frank, the graphics in ST3 can't really draw well on the screen in black on white mode. So for these reasons I urge you to use the simulated sky background plus model psf stars for the on-screen version of these charts.

If you still have a problem with stars appearing or disappearing when you zoom, let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer