Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confusion around Little Gem nebula
Hello,
I was recently working with the H400 list specifically in Sagittarius and may have found a little error. There is an object called "Little Gem" (that is its Primary designation, secondary is ngc 6818 RA:  19h 43m 57.8s, Dec: −14° 9′ 11.9″ . Yet Googling NGC 6818 describes this as a planetary Nebula in Sagittarius and it is not known as the Little Gem nebula or any 'name' at all. The name/designation "Little Gem" is assigned to NGC  6445 (RA:  17h 49m 15s, Dec:−20° 00′ 35″), at least per wikipedia. 

The more I use your  software the more deeply I appreciate your programming skills and the way your software works. Im really interested in version 4 Visual and looking forward to its release.

Thank You,
Leif Edmondson
Hello Leif,

Common names have no central arbiter, so sometimes a name will catch on that has is already in use, but those using the name don't realize it. This has been a problem over the years with Hubble press releases, where the writers would invent a name to match the Hubble image, not knowing that that name was already commonly used for another object. Sometimes this got so much attention that the new name became more prominent than the old one. So this isn't as straight forward as it would at first seem.

In this case, I don't know what's going on. NGC 6818 has a long history of being called the Little Gem that goes back decades. NGC 6309 has also been known as The Box for a very long time. Yet, somehow, in recent years both these names have been applied to NGC 6445! Go figure. I'm going to stick to tradition on this one.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-09-07, 09:57 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello Leif,

Common names have no central arbiter, so sometimes a name will catch on that has is already in use, but those using the name don't realize it. This has been a problem over the years with Hubble press releases, where the writers would invent a name to match the Hubble image, not knowing that that name was already commonly used for another object. Sometimes this got so much attention that the new name became more prominent than the old one. So this isn't as straight forward as it would at first seem.

In this case, I don't know what's going on. NGC 6818 has a long history of being called the Little Gem that goes back decades. NGC 6309 has also been known as The Box for a very long time. Yet, somehow, in recent years both these names have been applied to NGC 6445! Go figure. I'm going to stick to tradition on this one.
That seems pretty wise in my book. Thanks for the history lesson.
Looking into it some more, The Little Gem has also been associated for NGC 6445 for a long time time too. I'm going to ask around about this one.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hello,

I asked around, and Ted Forte on Amastro says, "According to Kent Wallace, the nickname Little Gem for 6818 was coined by H. Mallas, although some references apply the name to NGC 6445. According to Kent, this was originally due to an error in Sky Catalogue 2000 that was repeated often enough to have permeated through the amateur community."
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
I suspect this J Mallas not H Mallas of the Messier guide fame.
The problem is, as far as SkyTools is concerned, that the current form of the common name database only allows a name to be used for one object. There was a similar issue with common star names some time ago, and I finally had to change the database so that the same name could apply to more than one star when you look it up. I may do something similar in the future for deep sky common names.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer