Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DB Power Search and Constellation Filter
Hi Dennis,

I thought that I attached the screenshot of the database search. I'll try again. Ahh, the file exceeded 500kB. Screenshots from my 4k monitor yield ~700kB files.

I found that if I select a specific Imaging System instead of 'Any' in the database search, I can then select a Location and/or Date. Then the 'Select Constellation' button becomes active. After you choose the constellation/constellations you can switch the IS selection back to 'Any' and the selected constellation will remain active for your search.

I haven't tried to set a prior date for the search, just the current night.

You are right that St4i has a ton of great features. Greg has obviously put a lot of effort into the software. I've been using SkyTools since ST2 and have been very pleased with it.

Phil S.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Phil, I have been getting different results for the Minor Planet Database Search between my Desktop and Notebook computers. So, pending Greg's investigation, I'm going to investigate the health of each Win 10 Pro System and their update status to see if I can identify any OS/Computer differences as well as how I may have set up ST4 on both systems.

Cheers

Dennis
Hello,

The original problem had to do with galaxies. The constellations can be selected, but the resulting list is not being affected by the selection. I have reproduced this and there will be a fix in the next update.

Phil: as moving objects, comets and minor planets are supposed to require a date in order to apply the constellation filter. Internally, in order to do the calculations a location also needs to be specified. Because many imaging systems are tied to a fixed location, and the fact that selecting a date also enables other filters that are based on a selected imaging system, I made the decision to simplify things by forcing the selection of an imaging system in order to select a date and location. So in the case of asteroids and comets, I believe the constellation filter is working as intended.

I hope that properly addressed your question.

I will probably revisit this design decision in the future, allowing the selection of a night and location independent of an imaging system.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg & Dennis,

As I mentioned up-thread, it makes sense to require a Location & Date for the Minor Planet search. You have confirmed that thinking. I tried to repeat a Database search this morning & found that after selecting an IS & Date that the 'Select Constellation' button became active. When I selected 'Any Imaging System' again, the 'Select Constellation' option greyed-out. I thought that it worked as I initially described last night, but I couldn't duplicate the behavior today. 

I did rerun the search for 'Any' constellation with no IS, Location or Date & sorted the list by constellation. I transferred the minor planets in Aquarius to a new Target List & got 2743 objects in Aquarius. ST4i appears able to search without a specified date, but I don't know what the time window for an object to appear in Aquarius might be. That's a lot of objects for a single night  Wink .

I hope that I'm not just adding confusion to the issue,

Phil S.
Hi Phil,

I'm sorry... but I am not following you. Can you explain clearly (in one place) what you feel is not working properly?

As far as I can tell, the behavior for minor planets is working as intended. E.g. an imaging system and night must be selected in order to use the constellation feature. When one or the other is not specifically selected, the constellation feature is disabled.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

Sorry for the confusion, I think I'm confusing myself. Here goes.

Last night I tried to do the same database search that Dennis described. He searched for Apollo, main belt & outer main belt objects in Aquarius on a specified night. I tried a search for Apollo objects and found none in Aquarius. When doing the search I had to select an IS and Date to be able to select Aquarius only. I thought that I was able to switch the IS selection back to 'Any' & still search for objects in Aquarius only. Then I also checked the box for main belt objects and got 65 objects in Aquarius. So far so good.

This morning I tried to repeat the search that I did last night, selecting an IS & Date, then selecting Aqr. When I switched the IS selection back to 'Any' the constellation also reverted to 'Any' as you've indicated that it should. It didn't behave as it did last night. I ran the search for 'Any IS', no specified Date & 'Any' constellation to see what the result would be. I sorted by constellation and copied the objects in Aqr to a new Target List. The search returned 2743 objects in Aqr with no Date specified.

I was trying to help Dennis figure out how to do the search that he wanted. Now I'm curious to know what Date value ST4i uses for a search for minor planets when no Date has been specified for the search. Last night I thought I'd found a way to do a search for a specific constellation without specifying an IS & Date first, but this morning I couldn't duplicate that approach. Thus my confusion.

Phil S.
(2019-09-09, 11:20 PM)PMSchu Wrote: I was trying to help Dennis figure out how to do the search that he wanted. Now I'm curious to know what Date value ST4i uses for a search for minor planets when no Date has been specified for the search. Last night I thought I'd found a way to do a search for a specific constellation without specifying an IS & Date first, but this morning I couldn't duplicate that approach. Thus my confusion.

Phil S.

There is no allowed search for minor planets in a specific constellation without entering a date, location, and imaging system. It makes no sense to do otherwise.

As to why you didn't get as many minor planets, it may simply be that you don't have as many downloaded as he does.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
I'll add that once you enter a date the other filters come into play, so you need to consider them as well. In particular, the exposure time filter has to be satisfied in order for objects to be displayed. It's below the date selection.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-09-06, 11:59 PM)Dennis Wrote: Hi Gregg

Hmm, I just tried again this morning and unfortunately ST 4 crashed.

ST4 Version e
Win 10 Pro 64 Bit
Intel i7
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

Here are a couple of screen captures of the Database Power Search Tool - Minor Planets Tab.

1 = the default settings before I make any changes.
2 = my changes; Orbit Class, Imaging System, Constellation.

Only this time, when I press Search I get the "Searching database..." message at bottom then a few seconds later, ST4 just completely shuts down.

I have subsequently re-launched ST4 3 times and still get the same behaviour.

I wonder how I got it to work a couple of days ago??? I'll have a look at my notes.

Cheers

Dennis

Here are some more details on the behaviour of the Database Power Search Tool on my Win 10 Pro 64 bit system running ST4 Version e:

Set up 01.
Imaging System selected.
Location selected.
Current date (7 Sept) selected.
Orbit class - various sub-sets selected.
Constellation Aqr selected.

Results 01
The database search runs and completes but only returns a single Asteroid.

Set up 02
Imaging System selected.
Location selected.
Historical date (3 Sept) selected.
Orbit class - various sub-sets selected.
Constellation Aqr selected.

Results 02
The database search runs for a few seconds and then SkyTools 4 completely shuts down.

This appears to occur every time I try this with an historical date.

I have attached some screen captures showing this.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

I'm not sure what the status of this is. You posted that you had mistaken ST3 for ST4, but there are so many messages here talking about so many tangentially related things for me to keep it all straight... are you still having a problem with an ST4 crash?
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg

In terms of ST4 and the Minor Planet Database Search there is a condition where it can crash ST4 on my Desktop PC.

When I launch ST4 and run the Minor Planet Database Search once, ST4 is stable; it does not crash, it never has.

However, with the Minor Planet Database Search Panel still open from the previous Search, if I change e.g. the date, the search commences with the "Searching Database..." text displaying and then in less than 5 seconds ST4 just closes.

Unfortunately this shut-down behaviour is not consistent when changing one of the user selected input criteria, it happens perhaps 50% of the time. This has never happened on a clean launch of ST4 and 1st instance Search - only when the user input is changed from a previous Search, without closing the previous Search dialogue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dennis

PS - I have allocated some time this morning to test ST3 Pro (Minor Planet Database Search) on my Desktop PC and Notebook PC, as I have not experienced any problems or variations in behaviour with ST3 Pro between my Desktop PC and Notebook PC in the past. Once I have established that the Desktop PC and Notebook PC both play nicely with ST3 Pro, I will move on to further testing, but this time with ST4 on both PCs.