Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are Coordinates and PA after Composition and Tiles?
Hi Greg,

I'm feeling either dumb or blind... I've been using ST4 with my ACP Scheduler based system, and ST4 automatically sends the coordinates to ACP Scheduler so I never bothered to look for them.

Now, on my second mount, I am using SGP (and a few other tools) where for now, I have to manually type in the center of frame coordinates and position angle that I set up in the imaging project's Composition and Tiles panel.

I expected to find this information somewhere in the Scheduler page after I created my plan for the night, but I can't find it there.  Then I went back to the imaging projects for the projects that were scheduled for the night, and noticed I couldn't find it there either.

I tried clicking the Save Plan button in the Scheduler but nothing seems to be happening when I click that button.  

Thanks for any advice,
Rowland
Hi Rowland,

Ouch. You have revealed a major problem. At the moment there is no direct means of knowing the coordinates to use for the center each tile. This also affects people who are using a hand controller and/or printing the schedule to take into the field.

I will have some sort of fix for this in the next update, which I will put a rush on.

In the meantime there is a work around. On the Scheduler, right click on the item in the schedule and open the atlas. Place the cursor over the center "+" of the tile, right-click and select Copy J2000 coordinates at cursor. This will copy the coordinates of the center of the tile to the clipboard. In most cases the position angles are the same for each tile, otherwise it should be displayed in the schedule.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Thanks Greg, the workaround will be good until the update. I found another "almost" workaround - if I set the imaging system's control system to ACP, it will print out an ACP plan which includes the POSANG commands, but the coordinates are given in a decimal format which I'll have to convert to the H:M:S D:M:S format used by SGP. The convenience factor here is that all targets for the night are provided in a single text document rather than having to open the projects and the atlas one by one.

#posang 0.0
Cocoon Nebula 21.890000 47.266667

Rowland
Hi Greg

Is this feature implemented in the latest build?
I don't use ACP or iTelescope so I need to know the coordinates and the PA for each tile.

Thank you
DH
Hello,

If you have the Control System set to Hand Controller / Manual Control, the coordinates are displayed in the Scheduler portion of the Scheduler. They should also be similarly displayed on the Real Time tool. Where are you wanting to see the coordinates displayed?

The PA should always be displayed for any imaging system that does not have the camera PA set to fixed. Note that for mosaics, the PA is always assumed to be the same for each tile. Otherwise, they will not fit together properly.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg
I see. I didn't know about setting the control system type.
If the PA is fixed for each tile, does it mean that the tiles are not compensated for sky curvature?

Thank you
DH
(2019-05-23, 12:45 AM)dhkim Wrote: Hi Greg
I see. I didn't know about setting the control system type.
If the PA is fixed for each tile, does it mean that the tiles are not compensated for sky curvature?

Thank you
DH

Please be aware that every setting for your imaging system is important, or SkyTools may not work properly and you will be frustrated. I suggest revisiting every one of them to ensure that everything is set up properly.

The camera FOV is projected onto the sky via spherical trig to match what you will capture. As far as I know it isn't necessary to adjust the PA of your camera with each tile to make them match up, but I haven't tried extremely wide field mosaics.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer