Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Search (Again)
I can't answer your questions because I have no idea what the details are. There are so many factors... all I have is a general outline. It was version V4.0 R8 that resolved the problems with the minor planet database. This is in the description of the update. I feel like you are upset with me and asking for the impossible. Yet, I never even got an answer to my latest question. If you are frustrated, consider that you are not alone.

All I can say is what has already been said. If you followed my cleanup instructions, in order, then things should be fine from now on.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Smile 
Okay. Just for the record, I updated soon after the release of R9 and within a few minutes did the cleanup/delete. I then updated the MPC asteroids and probably the NEA and daily. I just did all that again about noon today. 44 Nysa is currently showing up in the Nightly planner and in the searches after deleting the current bright and interesting minor planets and updating them. For whatever reason, it was not doing so until the noon updates to the MPDB. It is strange how a little 70Km chunk of rock can cause such drama.

Have a good day and may your software live long and prosper.
Even now I can only presume that you failed to follow step No 2. This would explain why the minor planet list was still pointing to bad data when you posted it. At least I hope so.

For the record, I am frustrated because you have a tendency to answer your own questions rather than the ones I ask. You just did that again. Please try to answer all of my actual questions as clearly as possible. If I need to know something I'll ask. Without a specific answer I am left in the dark.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
The only thing in your list I did differently was in step 6. I chose the top selection b4 going to the next step. The only thing that seems a bit odd in the interesting list (post 8) now is Eris 96AU away and the bit of sand 2021 WT6 1.3AU away and 19th mag. I can now find with search the bright asteroid that was not showing up. The list is now not pointing to any bad data.

One last thing.... I've printed your instruction so I can never lose them ;=]
(2022-01-21, 06:01 PM)bigmasterdrago Wrote: I did the MPCORB yesterday as I mentioned. Why should I need to download it every day? And did an ASTORB (Lowell) a week ago. I have no idea why there are only 28,972

How the heck does a rock with an H of 6.94 and a diameter of 70Km disappear from an active minor planet database?

It's difficult to say without more information about the specific minor planet and the context in which it disappeared from the database. However, it's possible that the data was simply lost or not properly recorded, or that the minor planet was later found to be a duplicate of another object and merged with that object's data. It's also possible that the minor planet was destroyed or significantly altered in some way, making it unrecognizable as the same object.
(2023-02-14, 09:56 AM)Sophia78 Wrote:
(2022-01-21, 06:01 PM)bigmasterdrago Wrote: I did the MPCORB yesterday as I mentioned. Why should I need to download it every day? And did an ASTORB (Lowell) a week ago. I have no idea why there are only 28,972

How the heck does a rock with an H of 6.94 and a diameter of 70Km disappear from an active minor planet database?

It's difficult to say without more information about the specific minor planet and the context in which it disappeared from the database. However, it's possible that the data was simply lost or not properly recorded, or that the minor planet was later found to be a duplicate of another object and merged with that object's data. It's also possible that the minor planet was destroyed or significantly altered in some way, making it unrecognizable as the same object.

This sounds very much like an answer generated via ChatGPT. People may not realize it, because its handled behind the scenes by me, but these forums are constantly under attack by spammers, who are paid to drop links to various products.

New subscribers need to make a first post that is genuine before they are unmoderated, and I believe this is an attempt to circumvent that restriction to gain full access. This is a waste of time, by the way, because even if they posted a hundred messages while I was asleep, I can delete all of them with one click. This account remains moderated.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
It's weird to dredge up this old thread where the issue seemed to be resolved & offer a vague answer.

Sad.

Phil S.