Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show finder circle in Eyepiece Viewer
I have not figured out how to display my finder's FOV circle in the Eyepiece Viewer or in the Interactive Atlas.

In the eyepieces dropdown, it offers the "finding eyepiece" but of course this is not the same, and nearly wide enough to star hop in the finder.

If someone can please tell me how to display this on either chart, I would appreciate it- thanks in advance!

Clear skies,
Paul
Hello,

The Eyepiece Viewer is not meant to be used with your finder, nor is it intended to be used for star hopping. It displays the eyepiece field of view only.

SkyTools has another, much better suited, chart for finding objects. It is a multiple-view chart that displays the sky as seen to the naked eye, finding device, and then the eyepiece. Magnitude limits and orientations are matched to what you will see. This allows for much quicker star hopping, because you no longer need to do the "hop."

When you create a telescope in SkyTools a special finder chart is created based on what you entered for that telescope. If you right-click on an object in the Nightly Planner you see a menu. Below "View Naked Eye" will be the currently selected telescope (at the top of the planner). Select this to open the finder chart customized for this telescope. You can open charts for other telescopes from the menu selection below that.

These custom finder charts can be printed and taken to the field, where you use them near the time indicated on the chart (automatically selected to be the optimum time to view the object). Or you can take a laptop/tablet into the field and use the charts on the screen at the telescope.

Suggested Help topics: (open the Help contents)

The SkyTools Observing System
Visual Observing with SkyTools --> Star Hopping with Printed Charts
The Tools --> Charts --> Visual Simulation Charts --> The Telescope Finder Chart
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Hi Paul,

Have you tried using the appropriate chart for your telescope? The one that shows the Naked Eye, Finder & Eyepiece views all-in-one? There you can display the FOV ov the finder in both the Naked Eye & Finder sections of the chart. You can also display the eyepiece FOV in the Finder & Eyepiece sections.

R-clk on each section of the chart, then select 'View Controls' (or hit Ctrl-v keyboard shortcut), open the 3rd tab for each section & tick the desired options. Here's what the Naked Eye View Control dialog looks like: [attachment=2026]

The others are similar. Note that this scope has a right angle finder, so the finder image is erect.

Hope this helps,

Phil S.

As usual Greg beat me to the answer & his is more complete.
Thanks, Greg and Phil!

Paul