Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syncing data between two installations
I normally operate remote and use SkyTools4 to schedule via the remote computer. However I also will frequently go to the site and operate direct from there for several days at a time.

I have a second copy of ST4I at the remote site. What is the best procedure for keeping the two in sync with regards to project progress. I understand most or all files are kept in Documents| SkyTools 4 folder. 

Steps I am assuming . . .

1. Initially copy the entire 'home' SkyTools4 Document folder to the remote site computer to get equipment, location and current status of projects.

2. Once observations are complete, copy which files back to 'home' computer to keep in sync and resume imaging from 'home' copy of ST4I??? Do I need to copy everything or just a subset?

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks, Great product!!

Bob
Hello Bob,

There are built in tools for doing this. Use the backup/restore tools (see the Tools menu) if you are only moving data in one direction. Make a backup on your main computer, and either make the backup files available to the second computer over your network, or put them on a removable device such as a USB drive. This process will delete any data that is not present on the first computer, so only use it in one direction, and only if you haven't added things or made changes that you don't wish to lose on the second computer.

If you move data back and forth, between the two computers, use the Sync tool. It works similarly, except that it merges data from one computer to the other, so it is non-destructive on the second computer.

Note: if you have the Bundle installed, with both Visual and Imaging products, please be aware that there is a bug in the backup process that will fail to back up your target lists, so you should avoid restoring target lists until the next update is released.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
(2021-09-30, 05:42 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello Bob,

There are built in tools for doing this. Use the backup/restore tools (see the Tools menu) if you are only moving data in one direction. Make a backup on your main computer, and either make the backup files available to the second computer over your network, or put them on a removable device such as a USB drive. This process will delete any data that is not present on the first computer, so only use it in one direction, and only if you haven't added things or made changes that you don't wish to lose on the second computer.

If you move data back and forth, between the two computers, use the Sync tool. It works similarly, except that it merges data from one computer to the other, so it is non-destructive on the second computer.

Note: if you have the Bundle installed, with both Visual and Imaging products, please be aware that there is a bug in the backup process that will fail to back up your target lists, so you should avoid restoring target lists until the next update is released.

Thanks Greg for the quick response. Very timely as I will be leaving home here shortly for the observatory. If you will indulge me . . . let me repeat what I understand...

I do a normal backup on my main home computer to USB Drive. This will contain all data, location, imaging rig and project statuses.

Then I restore this backup to the remote site computer. It will overwrite anything on that computer. (This is fine with me) and basically sets a baseline for future use.

Once done at the observatory I do a sync. This then gets transferred back to home computer updating the various projects at that time? I am unclear here because I can't seem to find a sync tool or a reference to it in the help other than coming soon. Perhaps I don't have latest version and need to renew? I am running 4.0j R2.

Sorry for taking your time for what is probably a very basic question.

Bob
Hello Bob,

Well... I completely forgot that I haven't released the Sync feature for ST4 Imaging yet. I am adding it to my main TODO list now.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
(2021-09-30, 07:00 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello Bob,

Well... I completely forgot that I haven't released the Sync feature for ST4 Imaging yet. I am adding it to my main TODO list now.

Ahhh... ok Thought i was going crazy there for a bit. Well i can at least get the two systems on even ground with the backup / restore. I'll await the update for syncing.

Thanks,

Bob
For the ST4 sync in Visual, it says "imaging projects".  I see those come over in Imaging, but observations are not there.  Is it best to just do a backup and restore or is there another way?

Thanks.
Hello Bob,

I rolled the remaining parts of the imaging Sync feature into the version 4.1 release coming later this year. That would be the sync of imaging projects. That's because it is more efficient for me to work on one part of the software at a time. I see that there is indeed a check box for imaging projects in ST4 Visual, if you have the bundle. That is a mistake, as I have not finished it yet. One part that has not been finished is importing the observations along with the projects.

Prior to 4.1, if I have any reason to go back into the imaging project code, or have a free Sunday or something, I'll see about finishing the Sync sooner. For the time being a backup/restore is still your best bet.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Thanks, Greg. Not a problem at all. I look forward to seeing 4.1.
Is it possible to change the location of the files to Microsoft OneDrive so that both computers would always have access to the same file?
Can the data files be relocated to OneDrive so both computers can use the same files?