Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeing Double (or Triple)
Wink 
I would have thought that there would be a lot of posts here.  After all, observing double stars is the most fun you can have in Astronomy!   Smile

I do have a real question.  I love how SkyTools has made my double star observing a snap.  This has probably been answered before, but are there improvements specifically for doubles in ST 4?

John..

Long time user of SkyTools for my doubles!
I am sure there will be more posts soon, given how much double star lovers love their doubles!

As for double stars in SkyTools, it is difficult to improve on perfection. ;-)

Seriously though, double stars will see incremental improvements. There is some improved data. There is now a true recommended eyepiece and it does consider what works best to split a given pair. I think the biggest improvement for double stars is the "Best Resolution" selection for the eyepiece view. This will now provide a much more realistic view of the pair, including a representation of the seeing and diffraction pattern.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Love double star observing (and imaging). I find that SkyTools 3 Pro is an amazing assistant in this, on multiple levels (no pun intended).

I use ST3P for planning, obviously. On "regular" dark sky observing sessions I often use the Nightly Observing List Generator and let it add some new doubles. I usually have a few I need to revisit so I manually add those. At full Moon times, I will focus solely on doubles.

I have a few double star observing lists that I regularly refer to. Some I've downloaded and some I've made. For example, I'm trying to complete all of the entries in the RASC Coloured Doubles list.

During an observing session, I will often use SkyTools to help me identify all the noted elements in a multi-star system.

And I use ST3P afterwards, during my log notes updating and publishing, to verify what I saw, and identify targets I need to return to.

I have viewed over 1100 systems. And counting.

cheers,
Blake
cheers,
Blake

Greg, thanks for remembering us cross-eyed double observers.

Glad to hear the "best resolution" option will be upgraded.  I often use it to confirm a possible split.  I also "cheat" with it.  I'll have a very large scope added and use the best resolution as confirmation often.

Blake, I'll have to add that RASC list as a to-do list!  Here is one for you (if you don't already have).  I ran across this year's ago.  It's the "Top 200 most beautiful double stars" from the Coldfield Observatory.  Here is the link:

http://users.compaqnet.be/doublestars/

It's a real nice list of some very pretty stars.  Took a while, but I've been through them all with ST3 and my trusty TV-102.

Clear skies,

John..
(2017-11-20, 11:21 PM)John S Wrote: Blake, I'll have to add that RASC list as a to-do list!  Here is one for you (if you don't already have).  I ran across this year's ago.  It's the "Top 200 most beautiful double stars" from the Coldfield Observatory.  Here is the link:

http://users.compaqnet.be/doublestars/

It's a real nice list of some very pretty stars.  Took a while, but I've been through them all with ST3 and my trusty TV-102.

Hi John,

That looks like a nice list. Do you have a SkyTools observing list version for it? If so, please share it with me so I can share it with everyone. If not,we should make one.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Alas, Greg, I did make a list and I lost it - a case of pilot error.  I did not lose the logs, though.

It took a while for me to make it...  Don't know if I'll have some time in the near future.

Cleat skies!

John..
I made a list.

Big Grin

Greg, the forums do not allow STX files...

Want me to mail it to you?
cheers,
Blake

A SkyTools observing list for the Coldfield Observatory Top 200 Most Beautiful Double Stars was made. It has been vetted and is available for immediate download.

Look in the "Stars: Single, Double and Variable" folder via the Skyhound server.

Enjoy!  Big Grin

regards,
Blake
cheers,
Blake

Ok, Blake, I looked (and I looked, and I looked - "here" and on Yahoo...)

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.  I'd love to get that list again, but where is:

"Stars: Single, Double and Variable" folder via the Skyhound server.

I can navigate the skies, but I find myself lost here!  Smile

Thanks,

John..
(2018-05-17, 06:35 PM)John S Wrote: Ok, Blake, I looked (and I looked, and I looked - "here" and on Yahoo...)

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.  I'd love to get that list again, but where is:

"Stars: Single, Double and Variable" folder via the Skyhound server.

I can navigate the skies, but I find myself lost here!  Smile

Thanks,

John..

Data Manager > Import Shared Data tab > Browse Location drop-down list box > Stars: Single, Double and Variable > click Get Listing button

Highlight "Coldfield 200 Beautiful Doubles", then click Import button

That's it!