Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default Sky chart option - can I turn it off??
Hi all,
In the interactive atlas and charts feature - there is an option that is on by default - which controls the display of stars etc - on the chart
The idea is to simulate what one would probably see at the given time one is looking at the chart.

So if I run the program in the middle of the day - wanting to make a chart for a certain object, I may discover the chart is missing things.
It may in fact not display much of anything.

My best option for capturing a usable chart - is to go to a specific object's info and look at that object's yearbar which displays the best month/day to view that object. Select that month/day - then shift days to find a moonless time - and then go for the chart.
Now the chart will show what one would expect to see a chart display.

Does anyone know if this is an option I can turn off?
Sincere Thanks
hi "dw_skyhound",

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "It may in fact not display much of anything."

When I show my Interactive Atlas (IA), I can see what's visible in the sky at any specific date and time and location regardless of daylight or Moon phase.

Now I have my IA chart preferences, Basic Style tab, set so that the Background Color is black. I do not let it use natural sky colour.

Also, in conjunction with the IA chart, I use the Context Viewer (CV). Now that is set for me to show things accurately, i.e. objects must be above the horizon. It simulates transparency and seeing and takes into account the light grasp of the instrument.

This combination for me is the best of both worlds. IA "shows everything" whereas the CV shows a telescopic (or camera) view realistically given light, atmosphere, etc.
cheers,
Blake

(2020-10-19, 01:35 AM)blakesphere Wrote: hi "dw_skyhound",

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "It may in fact not display much of anything."

When I show my Interactive Atlas (IA), I can see what's visible in the sky at any specific date and time and location regardless of daylight or Moon phase.

Now I have my IA chart preferences, Basic Style tab, set so that the Background Color is black. I do not let it use natural sky colour.

Also, in conjunction with the IA chart, I use the Context Viewer (CV). Now that is set for me to show things accurately, i.e. objects must be above the horizon. It simulates transparency and seeing and takes into account the light grasp of the instrument.

This combination for me is the best of both worlds. IA "shows everything" whereas the CV shows a telescopic (or camera) view realistically given light, atmosphere, etc.
Thank blakesphere

I will upload two small screen-shots to show you what I mean.
The first one is of M108 at mid-day.
The second one is after I select the month/day from M108's YearBar - where one should get the best look at it.
As you can see from the first one - there aren't enough stars showing to be useful.
On the second one Ursa Major is upside down compared to the first one - but that's because of the different date/time

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Right. So you're using the Visual Sky Simulation (VSS) chart with can show the Naked-Eye panel, Finder view, and Eyepiece view, side-by-each. I casually call this the "telescope view."

This is a true simulation in that daylight is a factor. 

If you have the VSS set to day time, say noon, local time, the sky will be washed out in all the panels. Only some planets and the Sun and maybe a handful of bright stars would show. By the way, I've done day-time viewing of planets on a number of occasions.

Therefore, your observation that stars and galaxies only show at night time is correct. This is how the VSS works. 

Now, the eyepiece view in your snap with the stars visible, that is going to be a fairly accurate display considering the eyepiece (I believe you're at very high magnification), local sky quality, air temperature, humidity, the aperture of the telescope, and other factors. I do see SOME field stars near M108 so some stars are "punching through." Make sure all those settings are correct.

Now I often find the stars too small in the VSS view so I format them to be larger. That helps me.

All that said, if you want to see the galaxy and ALL surrounding stars regardless of time of year, time of day, without the effect of light pollution, choose to view M108 with the Interactive Atlas chart--NOT the VSS.
cheers,
Blake

(2020-10-19, 03:39 AM)blakesphere Wrote: Thanks blakesphere,
As far as I know - the Interactive chart doesn't have a finder that one can turn on?

And it sounds like the option of turning the feature that fades stars etc out at different times of day is an option a can't turn off.

Are you familiar with any other charting software?
I have cartes du ciel installed also.
But I wonder if there is another professional software out there that is really good for making charts?

Thanks
If you want the eyepiece circle in the Interactive Atlas, yes, you can do that.

Start the IA.
Open the Context Viewer.
Choose the correct telescope and eyepiece.
Close the CV.

You're good to go.

The alternative, if you really like the VSS, is to ensure you have the target object selected when it is at the (evening) meridian.
cheers,
Blake

(2020-10-19, 04:15 AM)blakesphere Wrote: If you want the eyepiece circle in the Interactive Atlas, yes, you can do that.

Start the IA.
Open the Context Viewer.
Choose the correct telescope and eyepiece.
Close the CV.

You're good to go.

The alternative, if you really like the VSS, is to ensure you have the target object selected when it is at the (evening) meridian.

Thanks so very much!
I didn't see that functionality!

That makes a huge difference!
Sincere thanks blackesphere  :-]