Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Yearbar
So here is a screen capture of the new Yearbar (I still hate the name, but oh well).  The vertical scale is the high-quality imaging time available for the object for each night of the year, considering twilight, moonlight, altitude of the object, etc. The downside is that it can take some time to compute, but it is threaded so you can abort it or look at another tab while it is working. There is also a function to isolate a single month. The Visual Observing version works similarly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2017-11-14, 06:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote: So here is a screen capture of the new Yearbar (I still hate the name, but oh well).  The vertical scale is the high-quality imaging time available for the object for each night of the year, considering twilight, moonlight, altitude of the object, etc. The downside is that it can take some time to compute, but it is threaded so you can abort it or look at another tab while it is working. There is also a function to isolate a single month. The Visual Observing version works similarly.

That’s cool. Is there the the possibility of integration that with an obstructed horizon capability? That way it would be possible to get imaging time based on when an object is visible from a very specific location.
Also notice a speech button now that’s making me wonder  Smile .
Now that the observatory is up and running the computer is mounted on the AP1600. I finally gave in and bought a 16GB i7 quad core Intel NUC with dual M2 512GB SSDs. It’s pretty quick and solves my USB cable problems.
(2017-11-14, 09:55 PM)Pcowell Wrote: That’s cool. Is there the the possibility of integration that with an obstructed horizon capability? That way it would be possible to get imaging time based on when an object is visible from a very specific location.
Also notice a speech button now that’s making me wonder  Smile .

Good question! The obstructed horizon is fully integrated into every function now, so it is already taken into account.

As for speech... I added a speech capability to the Object Info for use at the telescope in the dark. When the you bring up the dialog it can read all or part of the info to you. This is primarily there to support the new "Tour Mode" for visual observing. The idea is that the telescope will move from object to object, giving you a tour. If enabled, the object info will be spoken for each new object.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Great to hear obstructed horizon is included!

I haven't seen a similar function elsewhere that shows best imaging time of year -with- lunar interference factored in. Very cool!

Rowland