Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skytools 4 integrate with Voyager?
Hi,
it seems a significant number of people, including me, have switched to using Voyager from https://software.starkeeper.it/ from other products such as SGP  et al. Would it be possible to provide similar integration to that provided for ACP with Voyager? Leo the developer of Voyager is super responsive and helpful. I would really appreciate it if this possibility could be explored...

cheers
Gary
Hello,

First a bit of a rant: one of the original planetarium apps is called Voyager, and it is still available from Carina software. It's been around for something like 25 years. So this was a very poor choice of name. Like StarTools... why on earth did they do that? I get people confusing our products all the time. I came up with SkyTools in 1998. Who are they to come along decades later and use such a similar name? I know nothing about international trademark law, but if I were Carina Software I'd be looking for a lawyer. "I've never heard of it before" is not an excuse. A professional software developer selling software globally looks into these things properly before settling on a name. Ok, rant over. To the question at hand.

A lot of new software is available that competes with SGP, and a lot of people seem to be moving away from it. "Voyager" is something I will look at, but my concern is that new control software is coming out faster than I can add it... I am going to have to weigh the number of people using each to determine which ones to support and that seems to be a moving target right now.

Unfortunately there is so little concrete information on their web site that I have no idea if this is something I can support or not. Maybe I missed a link somewhere, but they never actually say what it does, what it requires in terms of other software, and how it actually works.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,
can't comment on the name - perhaps it's a European thing - Voyager is Italian.

A lot of experienced imagers are switching to Voyager because it is basically bulletproof with extremely robust error handling, as well as an easy to use scripting language. It also has the best focusing of any program I've ever used.

It can best be described as a system integrator that can utilise a variety of well known programs to create and run sequences of images. It also now has a remote control app that can even use a phone from anywhere in the world to control an imaging system - no need for Teamviewer etc...There is a full wiki at https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

I realise that you have to ration your time as best you can, but I think Voyager may in the longer term be a Very Nice complement to Skytools. In addition Leo the developer is super helpful, and really knows how to code! He writes control software for major corporations..........

cheers
Gary