Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AL Multiple Star Program List?
Good evening,

Before creating one, has anyone created an STX file of the Multiple Star observing list? 

https://www.astroleague.org/content/mult...ng-program 

I looked in ST3 data manager but didn't come across one. If one doesn't exist, I'll create and share.

Thank you.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I had a look and I don't think this is the same list as the AL Double stars, which has been around for some time. If someone does have this list, please post it here so I can put it on my web site.

Note: if anyone tries entering these objects, please be aware of a problem that was recently brought to my attention at Okie-Tex. When you enter a designation for a double star into the Designation Search, e.g. STF 124, by default it will always return the last lettered pair in the system rather than the AB pair. If there are four components to STF 123 (A, B, C, and D) then if you enter STF 123 it will always return STF 123D. When creating your list take care to select the proper pair on the bottom right of the dialog before adding it to the list. You can directly enter the pair you want my appending the secondary component, such as STF123B.

I will have a fix for this in ST4 and a future update to ST3.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Hi Greg,

You are correct. This is a new program, not the same as the double star program already in the STX library.

Thank you for the heads up on the search function results, too. 

To proceed, I'll create an import file from the AL program list. Then I'll clean up the imported list and post for review. That will be a rainy day or weekend chore in the next couple of weeks. This will be my first list created using these capabilities, so expect some fits and starts.

If anyone is interested in using the resulting file, do you anticipate any issues with one entry per system using the primary as the target? This would result in a list of 114 objects. That seems to be the protocol with the other multiple star lists.

Thank you.

Mike