Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SkyTools 3 Pro on a MS Surface Pro 4
My Surface Pro 4 has been updated to the Windows 10 Creator's Update. ver 1709  OSB 16299.125

The Night Light feature has made the display almost dark enough to use without a red filter. Night Light allows the whites of the display to morph to a deep amber color.   Unfortunately, it still isn't quite there yet. At a dark site, it is still too bright.  I am encouraged though, if the display can be modified to this degree, it wouldn't take much to expand the display dimming capability to a degree that the Surface could be used in the field without a filter.

I have explored the UEFI (bios substitute) to see if there is a screen intensity modulator built in. I didn't find anything obvious.

Has any other Surface user found settings that make the machine field usable without a Rubylith sheet or the like over the display?
Hi,

The Night Vision mode is designed to work with a red filter. We have found over the years that this is the best solution, primarily because the black on a screen is never truly black.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-01-11, 05:56 PM)masec Wrote: My Surface Pro 4 has been updated to the Windows 10 Creator's Update. ver 1709  OSB 16299.125

The Night Light feature has made the display almost dark enough to use without a red filter. Night Light allows the whites of the display to morph to a deep amber color.   Unfortunately, it still isn't quite there yet. At a dark site, it is still too bright.  I am encouraged though, if the display can be modified to this degree, it wouldn't take much to expand the display dimming capability to a degree that the Surface could be used in the field without a filter.

I have explored the UEFI (bios substitute) to see if there is a screen intensity modulator built in. I didn't find anything obvious.

Has any other Surface user found settings that make the machine field usable without a Rubylith sheet or the like over the display?

I use the Surface as well. Use Screen brightness 0% and a red filter in front of the screen. Pen still works as well. Does the trick for me.

Good luck.
Hi Spider,
what do you use as a filter? I have red "plexiglass" which is 3mm thick. Do you think the pen would still work with it?
cs,
Uli
(2018-08-04, 06:49 PM)Ullomat Wrote: Hi Spider,
what do you use as a filter? I have red "plexiglass" which is 3mm thick. Do you think the pen would still work with it?
cs,
Uli

Here is what I use and it works well. I use blue painters tape to fix it to the screen in four corners.
3mm is pretty thick for the pen to work prperly, but thin enough to give it a try.
Sorry for such late reply.

Good luck.