Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding Optimum Observation time
Hi dw_Skyhound,

When my ST3 Pro version starts, it sets itself for the current evening & uses the observing list that was active the last time it was shut down. I generally sort the observing list on the 'Begin' column to bring up the objects best suited for early evening (twilight for some planets) viewing. You can use the object filters to display objects in a selected constellation and/or of a selected type ( planets, comets, globulars, etc.). If you restrict the observing time by sliding the red vertical lines on the night bar, ST3 will reduce the observable objects. I usually leave the bars set to the extreme ends of the Night Bar window so no objects get filtered out that way.

I don't print the lists. I just use ST3 to list the available objects each night. I you want to get fancy, you can set the filters to display a subset of an observing list, use the 'Check' column to put check marks on the down-selected objects, then use 'Copy Checked' to copy the checked objects to a new list. Finally you can apply a sort to your new sub-list. I don't go to that much trouble personally.

If I were going to print anything, it would be finder charts to take to the telescope. The 13" dobsonian is 'full manual'  Smile . Before SkyTools I used Uranometria 2000 & The Falkauer Atlas - also 'full manual'.

I hope this helps, Greg is right SkyTools really simplifies observing,

Phil S.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Understanding Optimum Observation time - by PMSchu - 2019-01-17, 05:59 PM