Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding Optimum Observation time
(2019-01-15, 12:20 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Atmospheric extinction is estimated based on the temperature and relative humidity selections for the location.

It would seem to me to be a lot more straight forward if you would connect SkyTools to your telescope directly rather than control with another app.

You didn't tell me two really important things:

1.Which tool are you using? E.g., the Nightly Planner? Real Time? Something else?

2. What observing list are you using? Where did you get it? Forgive my asking such a basic question, but did it have any stars in it? In order to display only stars from your observing list, there must first be stars in the list. Same for multiple stars, etc.  

Of course it can display available stars. Presumably you created an observing list of Alpha stars, perhaps via the Database Power Search? Then selected that list in the planner?

Hi Greg and thanks again.
I thought I was using the Nightly Planner - I believe the Real Time is for the version above mine - and I don't have it in mine.

I believe my understanding about how the list is generated was faulty.
I assumed when I made a change to the filter setting a new list would be generated - kind of like a query being initiated.
But I see now that is not the case.

I'm getting the impression that one must first generate a list - and that list is then either compiled into a file or compiled into RAM.  Then filtering which is displayed above the columns - is done off that generated list.  

I had falsely assumed the filtering was part of the initial query (list generation) process.

So now if I understand - there are two ways to generate a list (what I would consider to be a query into the DB)
1) Use the "Nightly Observing List Generator" - select one of the filtering options under "Type of list to create"
2) Use the "DB Power Search Tool"

Using the "Nightly Observing List Generator"
Show Pieces: returned 11 objects of various types.
Shallow Sky: returned about 10 objects
Interesting Deep Sky: returned zero objects (which I'm surprised because even the pleiades is viewable with naked eye)
NGC/IC: zero objects
Off the beaten path: zero objects
Interesting stars: 18 objects
Double stars: 187 objects

I'm worried that its filtering out objects which I may in fact be able to see.
And I wonder if there is a way to see the full list without any visibility filtering?

I think the DB Power Search Tool is going to provide much more viable lists.
I was able to get it to return 28xxx galaxies with one query.
Getting that large a number of items diminished my worries significantly
I was able to print that full list to a PDF file.

It would be nice if I could save the results of a generated list with all of columns of data such as RA, DEC, Magnitude etc.
Is there a way to do that?

I initially worked through the audio tutorials - and am now watching the video tutorials.
Thanks again

(2019-01-15, 10:26 PM)dw_Skyhound Wrote:
(2019-01-15, 12:20 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Oh yes - you asked about connecting it to telescope - I currently don't have any automated scopes.
My primary concern at this point is making sure the program is returning viable lists.

You mentioned generating a list of Alpha stars - I'll see if I can't figure out how to do that.
Thanks again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Understanding Optimum Observation time - by dw_Skyhound - 2019-01-15, 10:26 PM