Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jupiter, Europa, Io & Ganymede
Here is an image of Jupiter with Galilean moons Europa (with shadow), Io and Ganymede taken on 10th Feb 2018.

Generally, the seeing was quite good with some light cloud around.

Taken with a Takahashi Mewlon 210 F11.5, TeleVue Powermate x2.0 (efl 4800mm), ZWO ASI 120MM-S and Starlight Xpress USB FW.

The image is made up of 30 sec R, G and B AVIs and is my first time using RGB filters in planetary imaging.

Cheers

Dennis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice!
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Indeed, it is a nice image.

However, in trying to determine the time it was taken, I found the only recent match for the pictured satellite and shadow positions was on 16-Feb-2018 (not the 10th) at about 19:45 UT. Given that Jupiter is currently a morning object, that time would suggest it was taken at the longitude of Japan / Australia. Since it's oriented South up and East to the right, if it's a correct view (e.g., like binoculars), then it was probably taken Down Under.
Joe Stieber
http://sjastro.org/
Wow, Dennis!

This makes me want to wake up early and put Jupiter in a scope.  I would too, if only someone would remove these clouds!

Great image, truly!

John..
(2018-02-22, 08:40 PM)Joe Stieber Wrote: Indeed, it is a nice image.

However, in trying to determine the time it was taken, I found the only recent match for the pictured satellite and shadow positions was on 16-Feb-2018 (not the 10th) at about 19:45 UT. Given that Jupiter is currently a morning object, that time would suggest it was taken at the longitude of Japan / Australia. Since it's oriented South up and East to the right, if it's a correct view (e.g., like binoculars), then it was probably taken Down Under.

Hi Joe

Good detective work. Here is an earlier (cropped) shot with some details.

Cheers

Dennis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Hi Joe

Good detective work. Here is an earlier (cropped) shot with some details.

Cheers
Dennis

Actually, my detective work wasn't so good. The satellite+shadow alignment I found on Feb 16 was, by chance, essentially the same as your original image on Feb 10 local time (Feb 9 UT), so I was just lucky that they matched and I was able to conclude your location and Jupiter's orientation.

However, it is interesting that the alignment repeated so similarly after 7 days, 2.5 hours. When I backed up by an hour on Feb 16, to 18:45 UT, Io and Europa were in vertical alignment like your second image; however, Europa's shadow was not on Jupiter's central meridian, but to the right (east) of it and closer to Europa. I suppose the shadow's position on the 16th reflects Jupiter being nearer to opposition, when the satellite and its shadow would cross the meridian at the same time.

Anyway, the second image is also very nice -- as is the labeling!
Joe Stieber
http://sjastro.org/
Not sure if the SkyTools website can accept "animated .gif's", but if so, here is an animation of the session, covering approx. 1hr 10mins .

The animation link is to PVOL and is approx. 600Kb.

Cheers

Dennis
That's cool Dennis!
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound