Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to uninstall/ clean reinstall ST4 Imaging?
Hi Greg,

I've been trying to sort out my imaging systems issues. I want to use a DSLR camera (Canon 7DMk2) on a scope (Meade LXD-75 SN-10"), piggybacked on the scope and mounted on a small EQ mount with camera lenses (e.g 18 - 500mm). While doing this I corrupted one of the default imaging systems (Canon 60Da on EQ mount) and lost the camera lenses associated with the default system. Before the uninstall, I copied the 'Documents/Skyhound/Skytools 4 ' folder to another hard drive. Then I uninstalled ST4 Imaging and deleted the original 'Documents/Skyhound/Skytools 4 ' folder.

I reinstalled ST4 Imaging from the USB, started it & updated to v4.0b. The default imaging systems were restored  Smile . I opened my imaging systems from my backup location using the file Open option in the Imaging System dialog box to get back to where I was yesterday. Unfortunately the Sigma lenses shown for the  default Canon 60Da system have all been replaced with a 500mm f/4 lens from my imaging system Sad . All seemed OK until I tried to recover my previously created imaging systems by pulling them back in from the saved folder on the backup hard drive. I uninstalled again and deleted the new 'Documents/Skyhound/Skytools 4 ' folder. I reinstalled using the downloaded Skytools4Setup.exe file and updated to v4.0b again.

I thought the uninstall, followed by removal of the 'Documents/Skyhound/Skytools 4 ' folder would yield a clean install and it looked like all was OK. All my customizations were removed, as expected. My recovered imaging systems for 'Piggyback' and 'Camera Only' aren't showing the correct camera lenses either. Before the uninstall/reinstall the camera lenses were correct at least.

Any suggestions for how to get back to where I was yesterday? Should I wipe every thing out and start from scratch?

Phil S.
Phil Schumacher
Hi Phil,

When you delete the "SkyTools 4" folder in Documents before re-installing, this will remove all of your custom data. It has to, because it isn't stored anywhere else.

You sad, "All seemed OK until I tried to recover my previously created imaging systems by pulling them back in from the saved folder on the backup hard drive." How did you go about doing that?

Also, do you have the iTelescope subscription turned on so that iTelescopes are downloaded and installed?

Thanks,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

I expected that deleting the 'Documents/Skytools' folder would eliminate my saved camera & imaging systems, that's why I copied the folder to another hard drive. All my customizations were lost, as expected.

I used the 'OPEN' option in the Imaging System dialog & browsed to the saved folder on the other hard drive (ESmile to retrieve the old imaging system. The imaging system that uses the telescope as the imaging optic seems to work fine.

I used the 'OPEN' option in the "Edit Camera Data' dialog to retrieve the Canon 7DMk2 camera data that I saved originally (now on the E: drive). That data looks OK. The new installation now has the Canon 7DMk2 camera as an option in 'Your Cameras' pool.

Rats, I just rechecked the default "Canon 60Da on EQ mount' imaging system and now it looks like this:

Huh Print screen - Ctl-V doesn't paste the screen to this message. I'll send to you via email. I guess I need to learn how to add an attachment here.

Phil S.
Phil Schumacher
You just need to paste your screen capture to any sort of imag editing software and the save it as a file. Then attach the file to a post. I look forward to your email so that we can get you up and running.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

No I haven't reinstalled the iTelescopes yet. With all the weird imaging system issues I'm having I don't want to go too far. I was having fun customizing & making cool target lists from the database when I had to reinstall. Is there a way to recover them from the first 'Documents/Skytools' folder that I copied to a different hard drive. I found some of the descriptors and obs files, but was afraid to try reusing them for fear of messing something up really badly. Better to just rerun the database search when things are sorted out.

I like the new atlas look compared to ST3 Pro, but ST4i doesn't show the sky brightening like ST3 Pro does when the Blue Sky option is activated. There is a slight change in color, but not much. The objects show up great! Love the color coding of the different types of objects. 

I sent the email with images at 2:45PM EST. Hope it helps explain things.

Phil S.
Phil Schumacher
Hi Phil,

As you suspected, it would be a bad idea to copy the data from the old folder. That is, unless you wanted to copy all of it and go back to where you were. You could do that. Things don't seem to much better currently. Its up to you. I wish I understood why you are having so many problems that others are not having. I did respond to your email, BTW, in case you didn't get it for some reason.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

I got your email and replied to it Thanks.

Maybe I'm suffering from RTFM disease (I didn't read it, but watched the tutorials) and went through the instructions for setting up the imaging systems. Coming from ST3 Pro many of the settings seemed similar & I assumed they were. That's why I put the 1.4x mag factor into the Piggyback imaging system. It seemed to do what I wanted in ST3 Pro - allowed me to switch the teleconverter ON/OFF in the Exposure Calculator to see the effects. ST3P doesn't allow changes to the camera lens f stops, but ST4i does. ST4i's Exposure Calculator displays the all the f stops for all assigned camera lenses even if a particular lens isn't that fast. Does it try to use the faster f stops, even if they're not available? I'm getting off track, sorry.

The main problem I'm having is that the imaging systems with camera lenses add extra lenses that are displayed in the Report for the system and show as options in the exposure calculator, but don't appear in the assigned lenses dialog. I can't figure out what I did to cause that. Since the default Imaging System template for Canon 60Da is also corrupted, the only way to get the template back appears to be another uninstall/ clean reinstall. I'm happy to do that, but I'm afraid I'll do something to recorrupt it Sad . Is there a way to lock the default Imaging System templates so they can't be altered or deleted accidently, just cloned? That would avoid an uninstall/reinstall to recover them. Once the default Imaging Systems are altered the change sticks and their utility as a template is gone. It might be good to provide .stx files for the templates so the original can be recovered by using the OPEN button in the Imaging System dialog box. Maybe no need to alter ST4i itself that way. Put the templates in a special 'READ Only' folder? They can't take up much disk space. If I screw one up again, just delete it and OPEN the .stx file for the replacement. Maybe download from Skyhound website and OPEN the downloaded file?

I'm stuck at this point if the files that I emailed to you don't suggest where I've gone wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Phil S.
Phil Schumacher
Hi Phil,

As far as f-stops go, these are user selectable, and at least for now, at no point does ST4 select one for you. I know that having every f-stop that might be available for any lens in the menu has confused you, and I am sorry about that. But ST4 has no way of knowing which f-stops are available for a given lens. It would add more complication during the setup process if you had to enter a list of available f-stops. So I at least for the time being I just put them all in there on the assumption that you would only select the ones that are available for that lens. I apologize for the confusion that caused.

I'm trying my best to help, but I have so many open questions about what you are doing. How about this: set up your imaging system as you want it it be set up and don't skip anything. Enter your teleconverters as a Focal Extenders. Then use the "Save" button to save it to a .stx file and send me the .stx as an attachment. I will look it over and send it back (hopefully working) with some comments.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

Here's my f-stop question. Say my Imaging System has 2 camera lenses assigned, a 50 mm f/1.4 and a 200mm f/2.8. If I use the exposure calculator with the 200 mm lens selected and an f-stop of f/1.4 is displayed at the top of the exposure calculator, does the EC really try to use f/1.4 in the calculations, does it know the lens is only f/2.8 or must I select f/2.8 in the menu to get the correct results. ST3 didn't offer f-stop selections, but when I changed the lenses say from the 50 mm to the 200mm the EC would change the SNR, presumably reflecting the change in aperture and f-stop. This question is not a biggie at present, just wondered if I should set the max lens f-stop myself for each lens, as appropriate or if ST4 knew that a lens assigned as f/2.8 couldn't work at f/1.4 or f/2?

I will uninstall/clean reinstall ST4i, update to 4.0b, create my Imaging Systems, save the .stx files and send via email. Did you already get the .stx files that I sent yesterday? Was the Canon 7DMk2 file OK? I'd like to reuse that file so I don't have to reenter the camera data at least. Would you recommend that I reenter the 7DMk2 data from scratch too?

Phil
Hi Greg,

I did the clean reinstall and created 2 new Imaging Systems, one for 10" Schmidt-Newtonian scope and one for a camera piggybacked on the scope with 50, 100, 135, 200, 400 and 500mm lenses available. I started to do the Camera on a separate EQ mount, by cloning the Piggyback system. I changed the OTA name to 'None'. Now the OTA name for telescope system says 'None' too.

Here are the 2 .stx files. OOPS can't add the .stx files here, I send via email.

Phil
Phil Schumacher