Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST4 Crash Attempting to View Downloaded Image
Hi Greg,

Most of my ACP Scheduler projects are winding down so I'm starting to create some new projects and ran into this apparent bug.  Let me know if this isn't the right place to report possible issues.

Steps to reproduce:
1)  Tools -> Designation Search
2)  Entered NGC 5795 <enter>
3)  Double clicked NGC 5795 in Search Results
4)  Clicked Images tab
5)  Clicked Download DSS Image
6)  Image downloaded but ST4 crashes to desktop (goes away), I think when attempting to view the image
7)  Repeat above steps 1-4; image file shows in the file list.  Select the downloaded DSS image and click View.  ST4 crashes to desktop

BTW, a wishlist item - a quick way to bring up the designation search rather than having to get it from a menu.  I.e. like the magnifying glass toolbar icon in ST3.  Maybe a small toolbar like we had in ST3 with ability to put frequently used commands there? EDIT: after how many months of using ST4, I just noticed the "Add Objects" button which brings up the search menu! Not sure how I missed it, but maybe because it's an "Action" button that is mixed in with a couple of rows of what are essentially filters. Anyway, glad I found it but makes me ponder if I'm the only one who missed it!

Thanks,
Rowland
Thanks Rowland. I have had several similar reports. It helps to know that this is happening in more than just a few isolated cases. So far it still has me pretty baffled, which is holding up the next update. Hopefully I will figure it out soon!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Rowland,

It would help to know the settings on the Download DSS Images dialog. If you could upload a screen capture that would be great.

Thanks,
Greg
    Sure, here's the screen shot.  Click View and get a crash to desktop every time.

Cheers,
Rowland
Thanks Rowland, but I was more interested in the Download DSS dialog, which will affect the resulting DSS image. Click the Download DSS image button to open it.

Thanks,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Here you go!  Different object, same behavior.

Rowland

Thanks Rowland!

One quick test, if you will. Clear all of the check boxes at the bottom except "View image on complete," Does it still crash?
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Yes it does. Seems to something related to the View Image that is causing the crash. The image does get downloaded and attached to the object because after restarting ST4, I can bring up the dialog and it shows the image on my PC - but crashes when I try to view it.

Rowland
Hi Rowland I also have this issue but it manifests itself in two different ways. On one PC running Windows 10 64 bit 1803 it does as you describe and crashes if you try and view an image but the external viewer works OK. On another machine running Windows 10 64 bit 1809 (don't ask :-)) you can view the image but it crashes to the desktop when you try and close the view. This is with 4.0b. It maybe a red herring but both my machines have Microsoft OneDrive installed which copies anything in user\<me>\documents to the cloud. I am not sure if you have the same configuration and if this is any use as a pointer as to what is going on.
I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to get my copy to crash, under various circumstances, with no luck. So either there is an unitialized variable somewhere, which can cause a crash for some but not everyone, or there is some external factor such as OneDrive that I am not including in my testing. I will continue to work in it. Any additional information is appreciated.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer