Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List export designations
I was trying to export a list of double stars with the primary designation the WDS one. I can get this when looking at the list but when trying to export it seems to go back to the default order of designations not the one I have chosen. Is this the expected behaviour or have I missed something in the preferences?

Regards

Owen
Hi Owen,

There is more than one operation that can be called an export. If you are talking about a list in the SkyTools .stx format, the the order of the list is determined by the Planning tool, so it isn't saved with the list. When someone imports it, it will display in what ever sort order they have selected.

If you mean export to other software, then this too will depend on the software that is importing it rather than how the list appeared in SkyTools.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg - yes I was using the export as a text file but in the text file the primary name order is different from what I had in the planning list. I had not got as far as importing it into other software.

Owen
Hi Owen,

I can have it order the text file as in the list as displayed if there is a reason to do so. Is this something that you need, or is it just a curiosity?
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg
I use Skytools for most of my planning work and creating lists for the Webb Soc and the DSF OOTW stuff and sometimes I try and export these to other planning software. As you said it is problematic because getting them to understand designations is a challenge. This was what I wa trying to use it for. I think it is probably no big deal if the other option does not work. It will be up to them to be able to read other formats and sort it that way.

Owen
Hi Owen,

We seem to have switched topics a bit... I thought we were talking about the order of the file. Not sure what you mean by the other options and formats?
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg, not at all. For example one program would like to try and import the stars with their names as the WDS designation, which I understand is the discoverer designation? I can view it this way in the plan if I change the star name preference order and get that as the primary designation. I can then print this out. However I cannot export the list in the same way with the primary designation as the WDS name so the other program could read it in (maybe).

Owen
Hi Owen,

Oh, I think I finally understand. I thought you were asking about the order of objects in the exported list. But it appears that you are speaking of the designation hierarchy order, correct?

So as I understand it, what you want is for the WDS catalog identifier (which is not the discoverer designation by the way) to be the designation that appears in the exported list?

I just tried this with a double star list, and even after setting WDS as the primary identifier, the exported list uses other designations. This is intentional because this export function is designed to be read by other software, and most other software tends to only recognize the most common designations. That, and these designations are the ones that are least likely to have non-standard designation formats.

Depending on your use for the file that you are generating there is a possible way around this. Set it up as if you are going to print the list and select Print/Copy. But instead of printing the list, click Copy to copy it to the clipboard. Then open any text editor (notepad, Word, etc) and Paste it in and then save the file in a simple text format.

Let me know if that doesn't work, and if so, why.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Yes that is correct. I will try the cut and paste option and let you know how that goes.

Ta

Owen