Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A suggestion/possibility feature request
Hi,
I recently upgraded to Skytools 4 and LOVE it! Taking a while to plumb its depths, but am slowly peeling off its layers.

I did the upgrade as a way of encouraging development of export capabilities to SGP, however there is another program that I am about to change to for image acquisition. CCDCiel.

https://www.ap-i.net/ccdciel/en/start

This already has the ability to transfer data from Cartes du Ciel observing lists to itself with a simple click on a button, so I wonder if it might be a relatively simple job to allow the same from Skytools?

I found Patrick, the author, to be really approachable and responsive.

cheers Gary
Hello Gary,

Thank you for letting me know about this. I was unaware of CCDCiel. I will put this on my list and if it is straight forward, I will try to implement it when I turn my attention to SGP.

One thing we haven't talked much about yet is that interfacing to other control systems is only the first step. In time it is my intention to add camera control to SkyTools Imaging so that it can handle things directly.

Clear skies,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hey Greg! One other app to potentially add to your "interface list" would be Voyager [https://software.starkeeper.it/index.php/voyager/] ... it's a pretty good contender to replace SGP for me, as was Prism, and the developer for this is also quite responsive ...

I occurred to me that as an intermediate step before you integrate into these various control apps (I count seven potential so far!) perhaps you could add an "export to text" button on the Scheduler once I generate a daily schedule? That would allow people to at least pull the bits from ST4 and then manually enter things ...

Currently when the Scheduler generates a list of targets and times on the right i have to manually read that, and enter it into the control program de jour ... I automate the "read" step with AutoIt doing screen scrapes, then let AutoIt put that into the control program of the day but that's a kludge. If I could export that list, even to a flat text file, that would save me the initial screen scrape from ST4 ... I still need AutoIt to import into the destination, but that's doable (and some take a known format as input, so it's trivial to write a converter from text into that format) ..
Thanks for your feedback!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Everybody uses some tool Smile For me it would be nice to have INDY\I support and communication with EKOS. It would be superb if we could have plans saved as EKOS sequences and import into EKOS. I love how a Raspberry PI 3 B+ cand run a whole observatory with INDI (everything comes preconfiged with StellarMate OS). For me the Raspberry PI and Stellarmate are a superb tool for remote observation without the need of a PC/Laptop (and fear that the laptop display or the PC display dies in the cold that we have)
I second linking with Voyager:

https://software.starkeeper.it/index.php/voyager/

I know numbers of people are thinking of switching to this from perceived issues with SGP (particularly the focusing module). The developer of this is fantastic in his support (as is the developer of CCDCiel) !!! , and I intend to end up using CCDCiel for portable use, and Voyager for automating my permanent observatory. SGP is now out of my picture in the medium term.

FWI
Gary
(2018-12-14, 04:02 AM)garymck Wrote: I second linking with Voyager:

https://software.starkeeper.it/index.php/voyager/

I know numbers of people are thinking of switching to this from perceived issues with SGP (particularly the focusing module). The developer of this is fantastic in his support (as is the developer of CCDCiel) !!! , and I intend to end up using CCDCiel for portable use, and Voyager for automating my permanent observatory. SGP is now out of my picture in the medium term.

FWI
Gary

+1 to voyager.

Seems that an avalanche has moved from CloudyNights. good to learn about many softwares, i always wondered how to plan well snr versus the moon. Here i have a good answer Wink