Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplemental Data Download
Hi,

I have a long term problem in ST3Pro (Win7/64) using Supplemental Data Download function.
If I download and am refreshing any Minor Planet Data package, the program will be waiting a lot for Stellar, Deep Sky and Skymarks checking (sometimes 4-5 minutes!!!) after completing minor planet data  refreshing.

Why?
How may I shorten this long and needless (?) part of this process?

Thanks,
Attila
(2017-12-31, 01:26 PM)Attila Wrote: Hi,

I have a long term problem in ST3Pro (Win7/64) using Supplemental Data Download function.
If I download and am refreshing any Minor Planet Data package, the program will be waiting a lot for Stellar, Deep Sky and Skymarks checking (sometimes 4-5 minutes!!!) after completing minor planet data  refreshing.

Why?
How may I shorten this long and needless (?) part of this process?

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila,

When downloading Minor Planets it can take a long time to update the database. I believe this may be what you are seeing. It is a function of the number of minor planets you have in your database. There should not be any direct connection to the other databases, except that the minor planet alphabetical index file may need to be regenerated the first time they are needed. This may happen, for example, when searching for an object using the Object Requestor. There will be a wait while the alphabetical index is recreated.

The large number of minor planets today are stretching the capabilities of SkyTools 3. I have had to put quite a bit of work into better ways to deal with them in SkyTools 4.

If this is indeed the problem, deleting unnecessary minor planets will make things tun faster. If you have hundreds of thousands of minor planets, I suggest the following:

1. On the Nightly Planner select the Auto Generated Lists group
2. Look for any minor planet listsm such as "distant minor planets"
3. Open each in turn in the planner, and select delete list from the Observing List menu
4. Open the supplemental data tab
5. Select minor planets
6. Right-click on any minor planet and select "delete all objects."

Note that this will not delete any minor planets that are being used in observing lists, log entries, etc.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer