Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalogue Notes ?
Hi -

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I would think that Catalogue Notes, in the Object Information window, would show the observing notes from some observation list. For example, if I had selected "Burnhams" catalogue observing list, I would see the Burnhams description of the specific object in the Catalogue Notes tab. Similarly, if I had downloaded the S&T Deep Sky Wonders observing list, I would also hope to see the object observing notes in the Catalogue notes tab. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. 

Am I conceptualizing this incorrectly? Is there a large text file that can be imported to provide those actual notes? Or do you only get the observing list, and the Notes Group is only for associating with an observing list group?

TIA
Ed
Hi,

What you are describing are actually lists, not catalogs. The catalogs are the professional sources of the data in the SkyTools databases. If they had notes associated with the data, the notes will often appear in this window. Examples are Bright Star Catalog and the General Catalog of Variable Stars.

Notes from things like Burnham's would appear in the Notes tab, where people can associate any kind of notes with the object. The notes can be associated with a group of the same name as the observing list, and exported with it.

BTW if I copy notes from a copyrighted source, such as Burnham's, and disseminate those notes along with my software and the associated lists, without permission, I could be rightly sued for copyright infringement.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
So any commentary offered in conjunction with an observing list would be in that observing list note group. I still haven't found any observing notes - descriptions, for example, about some galaxy, cluster, nebula, etc., from some open source observing list, which makes me suspect that this is a user error problem.

For example, if I select "100 Brightest Galaxies" as my observing list; there is not a Notes Group list (from the Data Manager) to go with that; nor, when I select an object, open the "Object Information" window, and select the Notes tab with the option "Show All (read only)" for Notes groups, there are no descriptions.

If I select an object from the Burnham's C.H- Andromeda OL, and then also select Burnham's C.H.-Andromeda OL Notes Group; there ARE Note descriptions for some of the Multiple Star systems, and Variable stars; AND, there is also a new tab titled "Catalogue Notes"; BUT, for galaxies and clusters in Andromeda, there are no notes.

I would have guessed that since I selected the Burnham's C.H.-Andromeda Note Group, I would have gotten notes from Burnham's, but obviously not. The Catalogue Notes tab does indicate the catalog (e.g., Yale Bright Star); and some Objects (e.g., Groombridge 34, or And 36) do contain notes which appear to be referenced to "Burnhams CH", or "Night Sky Observs (sp) Guide".

Is there any designation for Observing Lists (OL) that would indicate they also provide Observing List notes (text descriptions of the objects included in the OL)?

Do I download (through Data Manager) a separate file for Observing List Notes, or does that come with each OL file?

Is there any facility in ST3 to incorporate or associate open source textual descriptions about objects, into the OL itself?

Finally, since I would prefer to be asking these questions with ST4; does ST4 address some of these concerns (and therefore I should just shut up until ST4 ships)?

TIA
Ed
The copyrighted notes would have to be added by users, and many people may also have legal concerns about doing so. As I mentioned, it would be illegal for me to include the copyrighted text.

This feature has not been as popular as I had hoped it would be. As far as I can tell, people use the notes feature, but don't share them widely. (see above?)

Notes can be saved in separate .stx files, or they can be appended to an observing list saved to a .stx file. When you view the .stx files, either directly, or when browsing files on our web site, the number of notes, images, and web links is clearly displayed. This info is also displayed when you double-click on the listing in the table of .stx files to import.

SkyTools 4 has a more simple design, and I hope that will encourage more people to use this feature. I am also adding the ability to upload lists (with or without notes, image, and web links) directly.

You asked some questions, but the only "concern" I see is that you haven't found any notes attached to observing lists downloaded from my web site. I think I mentioned that would be illegal unless we obtained permission.

I suggest asking if other users have versions of these lists with the notes attached, and see if they are willing to share them.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
One thing you may be able to try going forward Greg is that Steve Gottleib appears to have made his notes on observing all the NGC and IC notes available to other vendors to include in their products so when you click on notes you at least get those. Perhaps you could aks him if you could use those too..

Owen
Thanks for the reply - that does help clarify the "Shared Notes" feature.
I do see, in the Data Manager "Import Shared Notes" tab, where double-click an OL brings up a dialog showing the number of objects, notes, etc. in the list. I think I'll need to be more discriminating in my choice of OL to import!
Ed
(2018-09-29, 08:15 AM)obrazell Wrote: One thing you may be able to try going forward Greg is that Steve Gottleib appears to have made his notes on observing all the NGC and IC notes available to other vendors to include in their products so when you click on notes you at least get those. Perhaps you could aks him if you could use those too..

Owen

Thanks Owen. I will do that.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-10-01, 03:07 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2018-09-29, 08:15 AM)obrazell Wrote: One thing you may be able to try going forward Greg is that Steve Gottleib appears to have made his notes on observing all the NGC and IC notes available to other vendors to include in their products so when you click on notes you at least get those. Perhaps you could aks him if you could use those too..

Owen

Thanks Owen. I will do that.
Greg,

If you do get permission to use Gottleib's notes, I have txt files (NGC & IC)  that are nicely formatted so import should be fairly easy.

Joe.
I have contacted Steve and I will let you guys know how it goes.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer