Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request - Save plotted image
Hey Greg!

A request if I may have: I really like how SkyTools does integrate into the interactive atlas my image with the help of a wcs.fit file and plots the objects on it (see attachment). My question is: would it be hard to implement a "Save plotted image" function, where SkyTools would save my image with the original orientation and original size with the objects noted on it just like it is on the interactive atlas?  Of course the save would consider the orientation of the image and save it correctly labeled.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello,

It wouldn't be that difficult to do. It would use the camera window, since it is already set up to match the orientation of the image. It would help me to know what the ultimate purpose of the image would be, and what file formats would be acceptable.

BTW you can do this now, albeit in a roundabout way. Use the camera view. Set things up the way you want. For instance, you might want to turn of the drawing of stars on the chart, and what labels you want enabled. The use the Copy button to copy the chart to the clipboard at the original image size. Then paste into something like Photoshop and save it as a file.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
The ultimate goal is simple. I have an organized folder structure with my astro pictures. I am always saving a plate solved image from my picture beside my processed picture for future reference (and also as who off on star parties to my friends so that I can show what I have captured). There are many objects in the sky when you take a picture of a main object but in the same you will have some more obscure targets too (see my example, as I have the Whirlpool Galaxy but also managed to capture 3 galaxies from the IC catalog) and I like to know when I watch my pictures what are on those pictures. And fact is that many time the nova.astrometry solves don't indicate small objects as your Interactive Atlas indicates on my picture.

So the save should be a straight forward JPEG with the original resolution we do not need to complicate things.

The camera view copy could be used as a work around but for some reason my camera view is presented as negative color and not all objects are annotated as in the interactive atlas. And also my camera rotation is not 100% the same as my settings in all my images as I rotate my camera for better framing on the go so re-saving the attached image with annotation would be more ideal. Of course, if this is easy to do. I don't want to ask for something ultra-complicated Wink (I'm a developer myself so I know how it is when somebody ask you some thing that you will spend days to implement it Big Grin )
(2018-09-26, 05:06 AM)CsMisi Wrote: The camera view copy could be used as a work around but for some reason my camera view is presented as negative color and not all objects are annotated as in the interactive atlas. And also my camera rotation is not 100% the same as my settings in all my images as I rotate my camera for better framing on the go so re-saving the attached image with annotation would be more ideal. Of course, if this is easy to do. I don't want to ask for something ultra-complicated Wink (I'm a developer myself so I know how it is when somebody ask you some thing that you will spend days to implement it Big Grin )

1. The charts are all highly customizable. Use the Chart Preferences to change to a different prefences scheme, one with a black background, or create your own custom scheme.

2. Likewise, what is labeled, and how they are labeled is also highly customizable. Use the Labels tab of the View Controls to determine what kids of labels you want to see, and what the overall label density will be for each class of object.

3. You can't plot an image in the chart background unless it is plate solved, so it should not matter what the orientation was. You just need to rotate the camera view to match. If you can't rotate the camera view (this is done on the atlas) then you have the camera position angle set to fixed.

I will put this on my list of features to implement. Thanks for the feedback!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer