Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST4 Visual features
Wink 
Hi Greg, 

I 'm really looking forward to the release of ST4.  Being a purely visual observer,  I was wondering if you are able to give any screenshots/details of some of the key features of the Visual version?   

Also, I've been using the 'Events Calendar' feature lately: it would be great if the actual times of darkness could be printed for each day rather than just an indication with the black strip.  Alternatively, perhaps this information could be printed out as a table - maybe this is done in ST4?  Smile

thanks, 
bye for now, 
Paul.
(2017-11-29, 12:43 PM)sauron Wrote: Hi Greg, 

I 'm really looking forward to the release of ST4.  Being a purely visual observer,  I was wondering if you are able to give any screenshots/details of some of the key features of the Visual version?   

Also, I've been using the 'Events Calendar' feature lately: it would be great if the actual times of darkness could be printed for each day rather than just an indication with the black strip.  Alternatively, perhaps this information could be printed out as a table - maybe this is done in ST4?  Smile

thanks, 
bye for now, 
Paul.

Hi Paul,

There are some screenshots here: https://skyhound.com/ST4.html

I  think you may have missed a feature in ST3. If you double-click on a date in the calendar this will bring up the Nightly Events window. You can also open it from the tool bar at the top of the Nightly Planner, where it will automatically open for the selected date and location. I believe this window lists all of the times you are looking for. You can also print it,but it isn't exactly a table per se.

ST4 brings the calendar into the planner window (rather than in a separate window). It can be switched between monthly, weekly, and nightly display modes.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
thanks Greg.

I did discover the nightly events windows no so long ago and it is very useful. What I was wondering though, is if its possible to printout the information for a whole month in advance - so it can be printed out and 'stuck on the fridge'.

It looks like ST4 will do something like this with its Monthly and weekly display modes.

thanks again,
Paul.
(2017-11-29, 05:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi Paul,

I  think you may have missed a feature in ST3. If you double-click on a date in the calendar this will bring up the Nightly Events window. You can also open it from the tool bar at the top of the Nightly Planner, where it will automatically open for the selected date and location. I believe this window lists all of the times you are looking for. You can also print it,but it isn't exactly a table per se.

ST4 brings the calendar into the planner window (rather than in a separate window). It can be switched between monthly, weekly, and nightly display modes.

For some reason in my ST3 Pro, when I switch to Nightly Events from the Nightly Planner via the toolbar button, the date in nightly planner seems to be the current date, not the date I set in Nightly Planner. Often I am using dates way in the future in my Nightly Planner and then quickly want to see when sunset/moonrise/astronomical twilight will occur on that date. 

As far as the screenshots, I love one with Lyra (the black stars on white background). Looks beautiful. Have you given an ETA on ST4?

Thanks,

- Paul
(2017-12-12, 02:31 PM)Apollo Wrote:
(2017-11-29, 05:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi Paul,

For some reason in my ST3 Pro, when I switch to Nightly Events from the Nightly Planner via the toolbar button, the date in nightly planner seems to be the current date, not the date I set in Nightly Planner. Often I am using dates way in the future in my Nightly Planner and then quickly want to see when sunset/moonrise/astronomical twilight will occur on that date. 

As far as the screenshots, I love one with Lyra (the black stars on white background). Looks beautiful. Have you given an ETA on ST4?

Thanks,

- Paul

I just now saw your message, and I can't understand what took so long for it to appear. Anyhow, to answer your questions:

There is a setting to determines what date is used on the Nightly Planner. See the SkyTools Preferences dialog, opened via a button on the Planner tool bar. Select the Preferences tab. You can choose between the current date or to use the last date that you were using.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2017-11-29, 05:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2017-11-29, 12:43 PM)sauron Wrote: Hi Greg, 

thanks, 
bye for now, 
Paul.

Hi Paul,

BRAVO on providing us  visual folks these changes in particular:

• New Objects Like This and Nearby Objects tools
    • Associate images/sketches directly with log entries
    • User-defined observing list columns
    • Dobson's hole avoidance
While I know Imaging is the sexy frontier, I still love visual, and Sky Tools is invaluable, irreplaceable and incomparable.

I've been observing for fifty years and Sky Tools is for those who live with the stars, rather than visit occasionally on sky safari's   ;-)