Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST4 availability
Yes it was me that emailed you Greg. Tempus is also correct. This is another option I would like to see Skytools have with the Nexus DSC Wifi units. As I mentioned to you Greg. The Nexus DSC is quickly becoming the DSC of choice among people and if it already isn't then its close to being the number one DSC out there.

Paul...
Personally I would just like to see Skytools 4 before the JWST launches :-( and then start thinking about addon's like wireless support. I would also debate the support for Nexus DSC as I would think that the Argo Navis has by far the largest install base. The Nexus DSC takes observing lists in the SkySafari format with all the limitations that has (such as the object has to be in the Nexus database before it can be used) and you have to add them on to a MicroSD and plug that in. There is no way currently of sending a list wirelessly and supporting that with the Nexus DSC that I am aware of. (yes I do have one as well as the Argo Navis (and Sky Commander XP4)) It is also easy to be confused with the Nexus DSC and the Nexus II wireless adaptor in terms of what people want supported. I would think leave the wireless gimmick stuff to the phones and tablets.

Owen
Hello,

Well, yes, Owen, I do have other priorities at the moment. But it is important for me to understand what people want down the road, and what that might entail. So I do appreciate this topic coming up, and I very much appreciate the information. It gives me a starting point.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-07-03, 08:04 AM)obrazell Wrote: Personally I would just like to see Skytools 4 before the JWST launches :-( and then start thinking about addon's like wireless support. I would also debate the support for Nexus DSC as I would think that the Argo Navis has by far the largest install base. The Nexus DSC takes observing lists in the SkySafari format with all the limitations that has (such as the object has to be in the Nexus database before it can be used) and you have to add them on to a MicroSD and plug that in. There is no way currently of sending a list wirelessly and supporting that with the Nexus DSC that I am aware of. (yes I do have one as well as the Argo Navis (and Sky Commander XP4)) It is also easy to be confused with the Nexus DSC and the Nexus II wireless adaptor in terms of what people want supported. I would think leave the wireless gimmick stuff to the phones and tablets.

Owen

If this Cloudy Nights Topic is any indication of the trend you will see that many are dumping their Argo Units and going to Nexus. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/62347...try8684599
I am a registered Skytools Pro 3.2kDL pro.  Will that be a free upgrade or the 50% discount?  I wasn't clear from reading the announcement.  I'm sorry for asking a question that's probably been answered before, but I couldn't find one.  Also, I think my email address has changed since I bought the product, and wasn't sure how to update that for your notification process.  Thank you!

David Windstrom
Hi David,

Imaging in SkyTools drifted so far away from visual observing that it had to be split into separate products, a decision that was made at the beginning of the year. There will now be two products, SkyTools Visual (Standard and Pro Editions) and SkyTools Imaging (single edition). So this has complicated the upgrade process from the Pro Edition of SkyTools 3. The details have not been fully worked out yet, particularly pricing, but for SkyTools 3 Pro users, the half-price upgrade will be available to the SkyTools 4 product of your choice (Visual or Imaging). We will be bundling the two (Visual plus Imaging) and this is the part that has not yet been fully decided. To upgrade to the bundle will require an additional cost.

If you own SkyTools 3 Pro Edition and purchased it after the free upgrade announcement, then the same applies: the free upgrade will be to the version of your choice (Visual or Imaging) with an additional cost for the bundle.

I will have more about this in the next week.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Wow...

Gotta say, as patient as I've been trying to be, this is becoming hard.

I posted about the coming upgrade on my clubs site two years ago next week.  Hard to believe...  https://www.chesmontastro.org/forums/top...is-coming/

Personally, I've just been looking forward to being able to really take advantage of the 2K video on the laptop I observe with.  Getting tired of having to down-size my screen resolution every time I fire up Skytools.  The irony is that laptop is now approaching its 3rd year of service and I'll be thinking about its replacement in another year or so (I cycle through laptops about every 5 years).

Greg, please, give your supporters something to look forward to.  Been waiting a long time...

Lou Behrman
Lou Behrman
Ambler, PA
17.5" f/4.1 TeleKit w/ Zambuto Primary (Ursa)
Explore Scientific AR127 riding on iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Hi Lou,

Yeah, I know how you feel. Believe me, I am frustrated too, and I am getting very tired of working 7 days per week on it. So here is where we stand today:

I just finished the help system for SkyTools 4 Imaging. It was another huge job because, like everything else about this new product, it is very complicated and there are so many things that have never been done before, and that makes everything ten times harder. Right now I am working on the final touches: things like keyboard shortcuts. I also have a short list of remaining bugs to track down. So it could be released as soon as the end of the week.

For the last four years, all of my work has been going toward SkyTools Imaging. Once I started down that path, I felt that I needed to see it through to the end. And of course, I did not realize that it was going to take so long. There were times that I thought it might never be finished. On the other hand, I use it regularly, and I am convinced that it is going to change the way a lot of people do imaging. So I am very happy with it, and very excited about sharing it.

I suspect you are waiting for SkyTools 4 Visual. I apologize that my attention has been so thoroughly taken away from the visual observing side. I didn't feel that I could do both at the same time. Once the Imaging product is available, I will turn my full attention to finishing and then releasing SkyTools 4 Visual. How long will that take? I really have no idea. If in the right mood, I can convince myself that it will be only a few weeks. In the wrong mood I can imagine it taking many more months. So that's all I can say about it: a few weeks to a few months. What I can tell you is that the things I have to do to finish it are much easier than what I have been working on. Unlike Imaging, there are no massive issues with no obvious solution that I must find a way to tame. Most of the work is already done, and I won't have to completely rewrite the help system. So who knows, it could go fairly quickly. I will try to do a better job of posting my progress.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
depressing as I guess we are now talking 2019 at the earliest based on the way previous estimates have gone for ST4 visual, and a shame that visual observers have now been relegated to second class citizens behind the rise of the almighty imager.

Owen
Owen, I understand your frustration, but your comments are an inaccurate and rather twisted assessment. I have been completely honest and open about this. The imaging side became a very big project and unexpectedly so. Mistakes were made on my part. So if you want to blame someone, blame me. This bit about visual observers being second class citizens is complete bullshit.

Also, as I said, there are good reasons to believe that ST4 Visual will be out before the end of the year. Most of the work is done, and as I explained, getting it ready is not the kind of difficult work that I have been doing on the new product.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer