Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding catalog name to existing object
How can another name be added to an object already in the main database?
In the database is object LEDA 2085077. I believe this is the same as IC4617.

When I put in the coordinates for IC4617 into the Designation Search Tool, and bring up the Interactive Atlas, the LEDA object is highlighted.
Therefore I can assume the 2 objects are the same, just different catalogs.
So, can I add IC4617 to the LEDA object in the primary database? Or should I add a new object to the Supplemental Database?
Thanks,
Steve Goldberg
Hi Steve,

The best thing to do is let me know so I can make changes to the database. There isn't any easy way to add another designation to an object from within SkyTools. The designation has to be added to the IC catalog, or changed if already there, then an entry to it has to be added/updated to the galaxy catalog.

Please don't create a supplemental database object. The supplemental database is meant for objects that don't already exists in SkyTools. Some people insist on doing that, and it bugs me because it is a very poor solution (you will now have a duplicate object) and when SkyTools data is shared between people, that poor solution can propagate to others, and the next thing you know it shows up in a submission for a new Herschel catalog or some such. I'd prefer to avoid that. For one thing, when I ultimately fix the database I end up with a big headache trying to update the lists.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-02-10, 05:12 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi Steve,

The best thing to do is let me know so I can make changes to the database. There isn't any easy way to add another designation to an object from within SkyTools. The designation has to be added to the IC catalog, or changed if already there, then an entry to it has to be added/updated to the galaxy catalog.

Please don't create a supplemental database object. The supplemental database is meant for objects that don't already exists in SkyTools. Some people insist on doing that, and it bugs me because it is a very poor solution (you will now have a duplicate object) and when SkyTools data is shared between people, that poor solution can propagate to others, and the next thing you know it shows up in a submission for  a new Herschel catalog or some such. I'd prefer to avoid that. For one thing, when I ultimately fix the database I end up with a big headache trying to update the lists.

Thanks Greg.
I will NOT add an object to the Supplemental database.
IC4617 and LEDA 2085077 appear to be the same object.
Steve
(2018-02-10, 05:24 PM)SteveGoldberg Wrote: Thanks Greg.
Steve

Noted. I neglected to mention an interim solution. Use the LEDA galaxy but create a notes "headline" to the effect that it is IC 4617. Not perfect, but it can help you keep track.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-02-10, 06:32 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2018-02-10, 05:24 PM)SteveGoldberg Wrote: Thanks Greg.
Steve

Noted. I neglected to mention an interim solution. Use the LEDA galaxy but create a notes "headline" to the effect that it is IC 4617. Not perfect, but it can help you keep track.

I've used that "Headline" before. Thanks for reminding me.
Steve