Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imaging Quality and Target Selection Tool
Hi Wade,

Thank you for explaining in detail what you are doing. I think that you will find that SkyTools does exactly what you want it to do, but you need to be willing to use it as intended.

Everything in SkyTools Imaging revolves around the creation of an Imaging Project. What you are doing is a great start, but you need to add the step of creating an imaging project to your work flow. SkyTools cannot really be used without it, and if you try to avoid it, you are avoiding the most useful features of the software.

So once you find a target that you want to image, right-click on it and create an Imaging Project. This tells the Scheduler which filters you are using and what your exposure goals are for the project. You should have exposure goals, and you should let SkyTools help you set them.

Most projects that I create take less than a minute. Many take less. Most of the settings are special purpose and can usually be ignored (until you need one, and then I think you will find it to be very useful). You just need to take some time to familiarize yourself with the project settings.

Once you have created projects for your targets, then the Scheduler is used to plan your observations for the night in a way very similar to what you want the Target Selection tool to do. Use it to Schedule your projects before dusk. Then use what it recommends to program SGP or CCDAutoPilot. If weather interferes, just skip ahead to the time when things clear. I think you will discover that it is worth your while.

If you want to get the most benefit from SkyTools, then I recommend adding the step of taking a few minutes to log your images with your imaging projects. This will allow the Scheduler to tell you what images you need to get next time in order to complete your project, and ultimately will provide an archive of the images you have taken.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imaging Quality and Target Selection Tool - by theskyhound - 2018-11-05, 04:48 PM