Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imaging Quality and Target Selection Tool
I have a somewhat complex horizon and am trying to get the Target Selection Tool to list objects filtered by the number of hours that objects are above my local horizon.

At a first glance, it looks like the right way to do this is to use the Night Filters and the Image Quality and Duration parameters.

The problem that I am having is that if SkyTools decides that the best image quality is A, then it insists that the total duration is defined by the time that the object is available at that quality level.  This is true even if I set the Image Quality filter to something less.

As an example, I am looking at M103 for tonight (just an object picked somewhat at random with Image Quality of A).  The object is near 45 degrees altitude at dusk, and never gets any lower than that until it goes behind my tree line just after 2am.  The blue image quality line in the Target Selection Tool shows it around 60 or 65 at dusk.  From there, it stays well above that until it drops to zero just after 2am (going behind the trees).

The problem is that the Target Selection Tool shows a Start Time of 22:00 with Duration of 03:45.  I've tried using the Exposure Calculator to select other image qualities, and I've set up an Imaging Project with an exposure goal of C.  Neither of these actions affects the Start Time or Duration in the Target Selection Tool.

What I want is to be able to create a target list and then have the Target Selection Tool show me the objects on a given night, filtered by the amount of darkness time that they are above my horizon (my horizon is high enough in every direction, that I want to start imaging as soon as an object clears the tree line and continue until it drops below the tree line on the other side).  I also generally don't want to image an object unless it has 4 hours of availability.

As it stands now, M103 would not appear on a list filtered by 4 hours of Duration - not because it's unavailable, but because it doesn't have an image quality of A for at least 4 hours, even if I would be happy with image quality of B.  As far as I am concerned, the object is actually available from about 7:30pm to 2:00am, which is a duration of 6.5 hours.

Is there a way that I can get the Target Selection Tool to work for me?

Thanks,
-Wade

Messages In This Thread
Imaging Quality and Target Selection Tool - by wadeh - 2018-11-03, 05:56 PM