Skyhound Forums
Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 4 Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - Rowland - 2019-03-29

Hi Greg,

ST4 4.0d

While importing a FITS image as a new observation to an imaging project, the import dialog shows a warning that the frame is significantly away from the target:
[attachment=287]

The target is NGC 3718, at 11 33 38.6,  +52 57 46.

The FITS header for the image shows OBJCTRA = 11 32 46.317, OBJCTDEC = 53 15 01.64:
[attachment=286]

While it's just a warning, it seems like something is not correct.  The import dialog also said there was no Location or Imaging System specified in the header.  The FITS header shows the location's SITELAT and SITELONG correctly.

Maybe this is caused by ST4 expecting different FITS header keywords?  The image was acquired with TheSkyX's camera add-on.

Thanks,
Rowland

RE: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - theskyhound - 2019-03-29

Hello,

It looks like the image was centered away from the location of the target. Hard to say if it is accurate or not, but you can ignore that warning. I'll look into the location. FITS is a standard, but its been around so long that modifications and extensions have crept in.

RE: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - Rowland - 2019-03-29

Thanks Greg. Yes, I used the composition panel of the project dialog to adjust the center of the image, but less than a degree, definitely not 33 degrees.
I do ignore this warning but I get it on most of my observations so figured you would want to check it out.

Thanks again,
Rowland

RE: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - theskyhound - 2019-03-29

Please email me one of the FITS images that is giving you this error. I don't see any obvious problems with the key words, but I need to see the actual headers to understand the problem.

BTW I believe you sent me an image last fall that was also not working, but when I checked it didn't have a valid FITS header. I think that was just an isolated problem with that image.

What I discovered is that:

1. None of your locations set up in SkyTools are apparently within 1000 meters of the site location in the FITS header. You should check your location to be sure
that is set correctly in both SkyTools and the camera.

2. There is a bug in the code that reads the RA/Dec for the image that only happens when the RA and DEC keywords are not present, which causes it to not check the OBJCTRA and OBJCTDEC key words. I;ll have a fix for this.

The good news is that neither of these things really matter. The warnings are there to alert you to possible mismatches between what SkyTools is expecting and what is wriotten in the header, but this header info is actually used in this case, so you can safely ignore it.

RE: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - Rowland - 2019-03-30

Hi Greg,

Good catch on the latitude / longitude. Looks like I made a mistake and typed the latitude as 36:56:56 in my location instead of 35:56:56. I'll fix that in ST4.

I realize it's just a warning, so no worries.

So the "No location specified in header" warning means "the coordinates of the location in the header are more than 1000 meters away from any location defined in ST4." That's a good bit of trivia to know Smile .

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers,
Rowland

RE: Single Frame 33.8 deg from Target Warning Adding Observations - theskyhound - 2019-03-30

(2019-03-30, 10:14 AM)Rowland Wrote: Hi Greg,

Good catch on the latitude / longitude.  Looks like I made a mistake and typed the latitude as 36:56:56 in my location instead of 35:56:56.   I'll fix that in ST4.

I realize it's just a warning, so no worries.  

So the "No location specified in header" warning means "the coordinates of the location in the header are more than 1000 meters away from any location defined in ST4."  That's a good bit of trivia to know Smile .

Thanks for looking into this.  

Cheers,
Rowland

I'll fix that too. It appears that the error message failed to evolve along with the rest of the code.