Skyhound Forums
Question on guide concerning red bar - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Discussion (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 3 (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: New SkyTools Users (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: Question on guide concerning red bar (/showthread.php?tid=455)

Question on guide concerning red bar - dw_Skyhound - 2019-01-17

I have a question concerning something stated in the guide concerning the red-bar functionality filtering out listed objects.

The guide states this:
-quote:
If you are going to bed at a certain time, drag the red bar at the far-right of the NightBar (graphic at the top of the window) to your bedtime.  This will filter out objects that are not best observed before you go to bed.

So if I understand this correctly:
After a list has been generated - a certain number of listed objects may have an AM “Optimum” viewing time.

All objects on the list can then be sorted by “Optimum” viewing time - such items are sorted beginning with AM times.  

Then if the red bar (at the right) is progressively dragged to the left - items on the list having an "Optimum” viewing time which is after the AM time designated by the red bar are filtered out?

So then if the red-bar is dragged to midnight – all objects in the list that are after midnight will be filtered out?

Thanks in advance

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - theskyhound - 2019-01-17

Yes

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - dw_Skyhound - 2019-01-17

(2019-01-17, 05:18 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Yes
Thanks Greg,

I have a generated list with a total of 508 items.
160 of them have an AM "Optimum" view time - ranging from 01:13a to 05:54a

I moved the red-bar to midnight.
The list did become smaller - with a new total of 454 items.
And I can confirm it didn't remove any of the items with PM "Optimum" viewing time.

However, out of the 160 items with AM "Optimum" view time - it removed only 54 of them.
There are still 106 items with AM "Optimum" view time - ranging from 01:13a to 05:45a

(2019-01-17, 05:33 PM)dw_Skyhound Wrote:
(2019-01-17, 05:18 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Yes
Thanks Greg,

I have a generated list with a total of 508 items.
160 of them have an AM  "Optimum" view time - ranging from 01:13a to 05:54a

I moved the red-bar to midnight.
The list did become smaller - with a new total of 454 items.
And I can confirm it didn't remove any of the items with PM "Optimum" viewing time.

However, out of the 160 items with AM "Optimum" view time - it removed only 54 of them.
There are still 106 items with AM "Optimum" view time - ranging from 01:13a to 05:45a

I was wondering if you had any suggestion on how I would filter out the remaining AM items?

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - PMSchu - 2019-01-17

Hi dw_Skyhound,

You could use the 'Red Check' column. Sort by 'Optimum Time'. Put a Red Check on all of your PM Optimum objects. Click in the Red Check column of the first one and Shift-click on the last one to put a Red Check on all of the PM objects. Then right-click in the Red Check column and select 'Copy Checked to New Observing List' to make a new list with your checked objects.

That will give you a new list containing the PM objects.

Hope this helps,

Phil S.

(2019-01-17, 07:48 PM)PMSchu Wrote: Hi dw_Skyhound,

You could use the 'Red Check' column. Sort by 'Optimum Time'. Put a Red Check on all of your PM Optimum objects. Click in the Red Check column of the first one and Shift-click on the last one to put a Red Check on all of the PM objects. Then right-click in the Red Check column and select 'Copy Checked to New Observing List' to make a new list with your checked objects.

That will give you a new list containing the PM objects.

Hope this helps,

Phil S.

Thanks Phil,
That will work for sure - but would entail checking 350 items.
What I did in the mean time was copy the list into Excel - easy as pie to remove the AM ones there.
And also as to look through and eliminate items of no interest.

But thanks for the post.
Also, I wanted to let you know I like your method of gathering objects - so big thanks for explaining it.

BTW:
Do you have objects of special interest?
Some people have a high interest in double stars for example.
And do you have objects of non-interest - items which you ignore or remove from a list?

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - PMSchu - 2019-01-17

Hi dw_Skyhound,

If you sort on the 'Optimum' column, all of your PM objects should be at the top of the list. The 'click' - 'shift - click' sequence will put check marks on all of the objects in the range. You don't need to click on each one individually. The advantage of staying within SkyTools by copying to a new list over exporting to Excel is that you can still do additional filtering by constellation, type, etc. Plus it will be updated with new optimum times on subsequent days. Excel can't do that.

The 13" scope does a very nice job on globular clusters and can resolve many of their brightest stars. I didn't do much with variable stars. The Burnham's Celestial Handbook observing lists have a ton of objects arranged by constellation. If you're doing visual observing check them out.

You can download a bunch of observing lists from the Skyhound website. I highly recommend that you take a look there. The Power Database Search allows you to search for stars contained in different star catalogs. You mentioned wanting a list of alpha stars in each constellation. Check out the Bayer star catalog. It only contains 1542 stars and all of the alpha stars should be in there. You can create a special view for the atlas that will apply the Bayer designations to all of the stars. Save that view and you can apply it again whenever you wish. Be sure to save the default view before you make your modification so you can return to that view later.

Hope this is useful,

Phil S.

I get the "click-shift-click" method - thanks for that.

On copying records to Excel - I'm still feeling its much easier to filter/remove etc - items in that environment.
I'm a Microsoft Instructor - so I guess I find multi-level sorting and filtering in Excel pretty fast and easy. :-]
Also, the copy to Excel is just a copy function - and the list still remains intact within SkyTools.

You mentioned Objects in a list being updated on subsequent dates - is that feature described in the Guide document?
I haven't seen that yet.

Thanks!

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - theskyhound - 2019-01-18

Sorry, its been so long since I used SkyTools 3 that I forgot how it worked.

This is described in detail in the help for the Nightly Planner (click the Tab help button on the tool bar). Time sliders are used in conjunction with the filters. So the results depend on your filter selections. Basically, you set up some filters. I recommend Above 2X, Complete Darkness only, and Visible (any difficulty). When you move the slider it will only display objects that meet all of the filter criteria during the time period that you define with the sliders.

RE: Question on guide concerning red bar - dw_Skyhound - 2019-01-18

(2019-01-18, 12:39 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Sorry, its been so long since I used SkyTools 3 that I forgot how it worked.

This is described in detail in the help for the Nightly Planner (click the Tab help button on the tool bar). Time sliders are used in conjunction with the filters. So the results depend on your filter selections. Basically, you set up some filters. I recommend Above 2X, Complete Darkness only, and Visible (any difficulty). When you move the slider it will only display objects that meet all of the filter criteria during the time period that you define with the sliders.

Thanks Greg,
I get the picture - I thought there had to be some other factors involved in the filtering.
So the reason I'm seeing 106 objects still being displayed in a time period in which the red bar is supposed to filter them out - is because those object are associated with a certain (horizon, day/night, visibility) filter combination.

I do see some additional info in the planner help you pointed out under the heading "Limit the Visibility of Objects in the List to a Set Time Period"

There are two vertical red lines on the NightBar, usually found at the far ends.  These lines determine a time period within which the observing list filters must be met.  This can be useful if you are going to bed at a particular time, or plan to get up at 4:00 AM to start your observing: the observing list can be narrowed to only those objects appropriate to your time frame.

There are two times which delimit the time period: After and Before.  Only those objects that meet the filter criteria between these two times will be listed in the observing list.

To Set the After time, place the mouse pointer over the leftmost vertical red line on the NightBar.  The cursor will change to a left-right arrow.  Left-click the mouse.  Holding the button down, drag the vertical red line across the NightBar.  Note that the After time will change as you drag (look under the Filters heading where it says From (after time) to (before time)).

Drag the Before time line in a similar manner.