Skyhound Forums
SkyTools WiFi Virtual Serial Port - TCP/IP - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 3 General Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: SkyTools WiFi Virtual Serial Port - TCP/IP (/showthread.php?tid=341)

SkyTools WiFi Virtual Serial Port - TCP/IP - Spider - 2018-10-09

Recently, I installed the ASCOM 6 Platform plus the current Sky Commander driver for my Orion XX12g.
I have noticed SkyTools runs a little sluggish and freezes from time to time once connect to the telescope.

I still have to do more research since I also switch to the WiFi solution from Orion, almost at the same time. I know, never good to implement many changes at once.

But my question: are there any reported issues with SkyTools 3 and ASCOM 6 or should I stick to ASCOM 5?
And one more, What is the best/better Virtual ComPort software? I'm using the HW Group VCP which seems to drop the connections once in a while and recovers.

Thanks.

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - theskyhound - 2018-10-09

Hello,

For what it's worth I have not had any reports of problems with SkyTools that were directly related to ASCOM 6.

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - Spider - 2018-10-18

(2018-10-09, 04:03 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

For what it's worth I have not had any reports of problems with SkyTools that were directly related to ASCOM 6.

And it's probably not in my case. Suspecting the virtual comport.

Thanks.

/Spider

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - Spider - 2019-03-12

So, I finally got around to do some more testing. 
Using: 
  • SkyTools 3 Standart Edtion [3.2k DL SE] + Real Time
  • Windows 10 Pro [auto update]

• Orion's StarSeek WiFi module to SynScan V4 hand controller on Orion xx12g
  • ASCOM 6.4 SP1
  • HW Group Virtual Serial Port V 3.1.2. 
While in the Real Time Tab SkyTools runs sluggish [but better with a very short list]. I even managed to crash ST3 by opening the Interactive Atlas. 

Real time refresh rates:
  • Telescope status: once per second
  • Observing list refresh: every 90 sec
  • Interactive Atlas: every 60 sec
  • Simulation charts: every 60 sec
Should I try different settings, maybe stacked like: 60sec, 90sec, 2min? To minimize same time updates? 

The observed sluggishness has not happen yet from the Nightly planner tab. So for now this will work since I still can slew from this tab. Using the real time tab only to initial set everything up, having only a short list loaded. 
I will try and switch back to a wired connection and observe the behavior [soon], I don't re-call having problems like this before on a wired connection.

Any software or windows services/processes I should disable for tries?
I always striving to keep my system clean. Windows everything with most "Spy stuff' disabled. Registry clean-up once a month.

Better Serial Port Software? 

I'm sure it's not Skytools problem.
But any info is welcome.

/Spider

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - theskyhound - 2019-03-12

Hello,

You have the telescope position being polled once per second, which is not very often, so I would not expect it to be sluggish. This would imply some sort of communication problem between ASCOM and the mount.

There are two differences between Real Time and the Nightly Planner: 1) Real Time is contacting the mount every second to update the status areas and 2) every 90 seconds the list will be refreshed (recalculated). These things don't happen with the Nightly Planner.

So if there is a communication lag in the system, switching to the Nightly Planner will help, because the mount isn't being polled every second. Also, when the list is refreshed in the Real Time tool it can further bog things down if the once per second polling of the mount is also going on at the same time. So I think this is a communication issue. Maybe try a different serial port? Also check that your Wifi signal is not being interefered with by nearby signals.

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - Spider - 2019-03-12

(2019-03-12, 03:50 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

You have the telescope position being polled once per second, which is not very often, so I would not expect it to be sluggish. This would imply some sort of communication problem between ASCOM and the mount.

There are two differences between Real Time and the Nightly Planner: 1) Real Time is contacting the mount every second to update the status areas and 2) every 90 seconds the list will be refreshed (recalculated). These things don't happen with the Nightly Planner.

So if there is a communication lag in the system, switching to the Nightly Planner will help, because the mount isn't being polled every second. Also, when the list is refreshed in the Real Time tool it can further bog things down if the once per second polling of the mount is also going on at the same time. So I think this is a communication issue. Maybe try a different serial port? Also check that your Wifi signal is not being interefered with by nearby signals.

Hello Greg,

I have the same feeling, something in the communication path from the computer to the mount is failing. I'm using COM1 currently via VSP and ASCOM/SkyCommander is set to it as well. So virtually I can switch the COM port. I will try that.

And like I mentioned I will try the hardwired connection and see what performance I get. [Using KeySpan USB to serial adapter] And stress test software and hardware. 

Thanks
/Ronny

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - Spider - 2019-03-13

Greg,

I found the problem, it was all along the VSP. I'm using a Trial version from Eltima and it works just like the wired connection.
Polling data from scope 4 times a second with no problem. Long Observation lists also now problem.

Now I just have to find a version will not cost me $250. Sick

But I'm just happy it's possible to run smooth via WiFi, no cable dance around the scope at night.

/Ronny

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - theskyhound - 2019-03-13

I'm glad you found the problem. Good luck!

RE: SkyTools 3 ASCOM 6 - Spider - 2019-03-13

Greg,

If you want and if it makes sense, you can change the topic to: SkyTools WiFi Virtual Serial Port - TCP/IP [or similar] and move it maybe to Equipment.
It was not really a SkyTools support topic. Plus, I will and hopefully others, post future solutions in this thread, as reference.

Anyway, thanks for your support.

/Ronny