Skyhound Forums
Skytools 4 installation failure - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 4 Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Skytools 4 installation failure (/showthread.php?tid=308)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Skytools 4 installation failure - Menardre - 2018-09-18

I did another test of the Skytools 4 installation. I deleted the Skytools 4 folder and uninstalled Skytools 4. I then completely disabled Bitdefender. I then re-ran the latest version of Skytools 4 installation. The installation when through to completion with no error messages. Once installation was completed, Skytools 4 automatically opens. The first screen has a dialog box for adding the extended database. I pressed the 'cancel' button since I did not want the extended database. After I canceled the extended database the same "Log: SING Error" appears and Skytools 4 terminates. 

There is something going on after installation is completed that is causing the error - and since Bitdefender is inactive, that cannot be the source of the problem.

Roger

RE: Skytools 4 installation failure - theskyhound - 2018-09-18

Hi Roger,

I am not suggesting that Bitdefender is interfering with the installation. I am suggesting that it is messing with the SkyTools files, likely when you start the software for the first time and when ST4 tries to create new files, which it does when you first start it. I have seen this sort of thing before. The errors you are seeing are what happens when files are missing or corrupted. The installer does a file corruption test during the install, so it is very unlikely that they have been corrupted during installaion.

It should be obvious that if SkyTools 4 installs properly and runs for the first time on one computer, that it should do so on another. There simply aren't enough differences in Windows 10 devices these days for it to be otherwise. So it is highly unlikely to be a problem with SkyTools itself. Some outside force is required, and Bitdefender is a multiple offender in this area. Whether or not SkyTools 3 installs properly is irrelevant.

So please look at your Bitdefender. See if it has quarantined or otherwise flagged any SkyTools-related files. Try doing a re-install + delete of the St4 folder again and disable Bitdefender when you run SkyTools. If none of that leads to anything, put the files and subfolders in your "SkyTools 4" folder (in Documents) into a zip file and email it to me at support at skyhound dot com as an attachment.

RE: Skytools 4 installation failure - Menardre - 2018-09-18

I was finally able to install and run Skytools 4. I am sorry that I did not believe you. I have never had a problem with Bitdefender and I have installed hundreds of other programs.

To get Skytools 4 to install I physically deleted all Skytools 4 directories. Then I disabled Bitdefener for 1 hour (this gives me time to install and checkout). I then installed Skytools 4. Everything went smoothly. I was able to run Skytools 4 , shutdown Skytools 4, re-run Skytools 4 without issue. I then re-activated Bitdefender and Skytools 4 and everything worked fine.

Sorry for bothering you....

Roger

RE: Skytools 4 installation failure - theskyhound - 2018-09-18

Hi Roger,

I'm really glad to hear that you resolved the problem. There are two things that really bug me about Bitdefender, besides all the hours it has cost me troubleshooting: 1) It has no business messing with data files. These files by nature pose no serious threat to your computer. 2) Every time this happens the owner of the computer is completely in the dark about what Bitdefender has done. To me this is entirely unacceptable, and if it did this on one of my devices I would remove it immediately. The cure should never be worse than the disease. Norton Internet Security is another one on my black list.

FYI: I use the anti-virus that comes with Windows. Unless you work for a defense contractor or otherwise have very sensitive data, I don't believe there is legitimate reason for anything more. And yes, I know some people hate it when I say that, but there you go.